Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comet 2011L4

Comet 2011L4

Supposedly this is visible in the southern hemisphere now and will shortly be visible in the northern hemisphere soon. I am having trouble finding much information on it, but some pictures are starting to show up on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lrargerich/8523783583/

Since it is a new comet, apparently it can be great, or fizzle, according to the following:

http://lunarscience.nasa.gov/article...s-brightening/
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/06/...ever-of-earth/

Based on the picture on Flickr, maybe better than expected?

Below is NASA's forecast for visability:

Apparently, there is another comet coming this fall. Some are forecasting comet Ison to be as bright as a full moon in daylight. It will be here Aug-13 through Jan-14.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2012_S1

Just in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Brant, I'll try to give it a shot. Time for a night drive to the Lick observatories
    Arnt

Sounds great Arnt.

BTW...to Mr Jonathan Huyer..if you get a comet in a picture with the Northern Lights (not photoshoped)....I'll buy a print....just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Sounds great Arnt.

BTW...to Mr Jonathan Huyer..if you get a comet in a picture with the Northern Lights (not photoshoped)....I'll buy a print....just sayin'
    Would you settle for fuzzy smears of ice on my lens? The forecast is for -39 C and I think the photography is going to be a bit entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Would you settle for fuzzy smears of ice on my lens? The forecast is for -39 C and I think the photography is going to be a bit entertaining!
    what is the "-" in front of the number, never seen that here in Florida.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I am really hoping for clear skies, I would love to attempt taking a shot of this. Recommended settings for someone with a T3i at their disposal? I would most likely use my Tokina 11-16, or maybe my 100 2.8 for a close up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    yikes....I just typed "convert -39 C to F" into bing and my computer broke.....

But....that could work....

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Sounds interesting. Have even had a few patches of blue sky and seen some actual sunshine in the past couple of days. Can't believe how cloudy it has been. Wonder if we'll be able to see anything?
    I am concerned about the same thing. Earlier this week I felt this odd warmth and brightness while outside...it was the sun....

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    what is the "-" in front of the number, never seen that here in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWare View Post
    I am really hoping for clear skies, I would love to attempt taking a shot of this. Recommended settings for someone with a T3i at their disposal? I would most likely use my Tokina 11-16, or maybe my 100 2.8 for a close up.
    I am not one of the forum's stargazers, although it is something I'd like to get into. There was a recent thread here. Only real difference is that you'll probably want to avoid star trails as that would mean the comet is "trailing" too.....
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Comet 2011L4

Here is another link that might be useful to find it:
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...187930541.html

It is also called Pan-Starr

Dave, rule if thumb that I learned (I'm not an expert):
    If you don't want star trails, the longest exposure time is 600 divided by focal length (FF equivalent, for the Rebel multiply the focal length by 1.6). At 15mm that would be 600/(15x1.6) = 600/24_= 25ish seconds

Shoot in manual, wide open, at high ISO. You can try the long exposure noise reduction (in the custom settings). The camera will take a second shot with closed shutter and do some magic math to subtract some of the noise out if the image. Focus manual in Live View at 10x magnification on a bright star in the sky.

The comet will be visible right after sunset, so the sky will be still bright, which means probably lower ISO.

Don't look at the sun through the viewfinder when it is still above the horizon.

Hope that helps,

Arnt
    Arnt

Thanks Arnt!

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Don't look at the sun through the viewfinder when it is still above the horizon.
    Btw pointing the camera at the sun in Live View for longer than a few seconds is also not recommended (see the manual - it can damage the sensor). Especially with longer lenses it is not recommended - see Bryan's test here
    Last edited by ahab1372; 03-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Arnt