Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Canon DSLR Question

Old Canon DSLR Question

Currently I own a 50D and a XTi, along w/ 6 primes & 2 zooms (15-85 & 70-200). I really like the 50D, as it does everything I need it to do, however, sometimes the IQ isn't very good, though I suspect I am overly picky. Mostly I shoot landscapes and an airshow or two a year. I take 12-18k pictures a year and have gotten many great shots. Except in the studio.

I have begun to shoot in the studio again and found I just don't like the quality of images I am getting. When I am shooting outside (or even inside, under non-studio conditions), my aperture rarely exceeds 8, so diffraction is rarely an issue. However shooting in the studio, I frequently see apertures exceeding 13 (ISO 100, 1/250s). I have been thinking of upgrading to the 6D (though the 5D Mk3 would be a better choice for me), however funds are still tight for me this year, so I have been looking at the 5DMk1 and the 1Dmk2(N or not). Honestly, if I have extra money sufficient to buy the 6D or the 5Dmk3, I would rather buy lenses or travel.

I plan to keep both the 50D and XTi (the XTi coupled w/ the 40mm is a great car camera). I briefly owned the 1Dmk2N prior to purchasing the 50D, I loved the feel of the camera, and the look of the images, but too many shots were out of focus. I am not willing to sell any part of my kit to fund the purchase of the 6D.

I am well aware of the potential downfalls of the 5D (no sensor cleaning, slow AF, etc) and the potential upsides (better IQ and shallower DOF). For studio photography & landscape photography, will I see a big difference? I have read reviews & reports on many sites, however I am looking for comments from anyone who has had or used the 50D/5Dmk1/1dMkiiN in the past.

Thanks!

PhotobyMayo,

Can you reduce the intensity of your flash / strobes to get a bigger aperture?

Dave

PhotobyMayo, Welcome to the forum.
    I have never used the 50D but once had an XTi. I now have both the 5DmkI and 1DmkIIn. Both will give better IQ than the XTi or 50D. May not have as many pix but the overall IQ will be better. I have put nearly identical images side-by-side from my 1DmkIIn and a 7D and while at 100% crop the 7D was a bit sharper due to higher pixel count the overall IQ of the 1D won out IMHO.
    I don't know why you had focus issues with your 1D before. Mine has a better focus hit rate than my XTi or 5D. I also used the XTi for studio work back when I had it. I once had one of my shots from the XTi up on a billboard around town. It looked great. If upgrading I would however recommend something newer like the 6D or 5DmkII or III. Not only will you get better IQ than any of the other bodies mentioned but also AFMA(Auto Focus Micro Adjustments) plus other enhancements. Shooting your XTi or 50D in the studio at f13 should not be a problem. Any diffraction will not be noticeable if your focus is good except when pixel-peeping.
    Mark

In a studio situation the higher pixel count will give you higher IQ, the larger sensor only going to give you thinner DOF in your position. Get t2i if you want some extra dietail.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    In a studio situation the higher pixel count will give you higher IQ, the larger sensor only going to give you thinner DOF in your position. Get t2i if you want some extra dietail.

John.
    I respectfully disagree . Out of 5 or so things that go into IQ, pixel count is just one. I agree in a studio situation I am just splitting hairs that are difficult to see. Any of the canon bodies, old and new, in a studio situation, should give excellent results.
    Mark

I know what you mean, there are many things that affect IQ when comparing bodies from different formats. But in a studio setting with primes stopped down to there peak sharpness the difference is minimal and the highest resolution wins.

If you compare on Bryan's ISO charts the 1D III to the 60D there is a slight sharpness difference at native resolution but nowhere near pulling the same amount of dietail as the 60D especially after sharpening.

Not putting down the 1D II, I think it's a great camera and I have often thought about getting one for a second body for a backup and for a few t hings my 60D doesn't do. But if your requirements for resolution are very high then you will better served with another body.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Thanks for the replies! I went back & Looked at old photos from the Xti & 50D and found that I liked the studio shots from the XTi better, however the studio was smaller along with having less equipment & less powerful strobes. The old shots w/ the XTi were taken with a 2 strobe setup (x800's) whereas at the new studio I have been using a 3 strobe setup (x1600's & X800's). I will be in a couple times this week, so I will look at cutting the power (which is seldom above 1/2 power normally).

So I went ahead & picked up the used 5D. The price was great for a body in flawless condition and I just couldn't pass it up. I took some 200 pictures yesterday, landscapes & in the studio and found that once I got used to the camera, that my pictures turned out great! So far, I am happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotobyMayo View Post
    So I went ahead & picked up the used 5D. The price was great for a body in flawless condition and I just couldn't pass it up. I took some 200 pictures yesterday, landscapes & in the studio and found that once I got used to the camera, that my pictures turned out great! So far, I am happy with my purchase.
    Cool
    You should post some shots with your 50D & 5D for comparison. Love to see them.
    Mark

I have an old XTi. It has outstanding image quality for a 10.1 megapixel camera of its vintage. The body's biggest IQ letdown is that it isn't particularly good at controlling noise, which starts to get gross at about ISO 800. I still keep it around as a backup body. I've shot product and portrait studio work with it and don't understand how you would be having trouble with it or the 50D in a controlled environment like a studio.

Nonetheless, the 5D would give you the advantages you cite above. However, I would think that the FF body would be more attractive to you as a landscape photographer than for studio work.

Here is a website that is worth a look at. I would not base my purchasing decision on it but it is a decent comparison. I am sure there are some holes to be shot in it.
    I find the 5D a perfect studio body as well as a landscape body.
    Mark