Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor sports options

Indoor sports options

I've been shooting my daughter playing high school and club volleyball for three years now and I'm still looking for the perfect lens (or set of lenses). The lighting is anywhere from terrible to worse and I'm not happy with a lot of motion blur on the ball or the player's hands (fastest moving bits). Therefore, I usually want to shoot at 1/1000 (doesn't quite stop the ball on a spike, but close to sharp on most other moving bits). I have the 1Dx and can live with the noise up to ISO 6400, but really see a drop off versus even ISO 3200. I have been shooting with the following lenses: 85 1.2L II (the fastest aperture, but slow focus - works well for following one player but not the overall action, focal length is about right for most venues where I can walk along the side of the court); 70-200 2.8L II (ideal choice in good light - I rarely have good light); 200 2.0L (great lens, a little too long a focal length at times, but get beautiful shots when the lame photographer can keep players in the frame). My question is about adding the 135 2.0L and it's performance in terms of IQ, AF etc.... From viewing the ISO charts on this site, it seems just a little less sharp and contrasty than the 70-200 II at 135mm (2.0 -vs- 2.8), which might be good enough for my purposes (95% of shots just posted on-line, 5% processed and printed up to A3 size, but I confess that my own satisfaction comes from as perfectly sharp an image as possible even if I am the only person to ever blow it up on the big screen high res monitor and go 'wow'). So, 135 f2 - sharp enough? Other lens options? (I sold a canon 100 f2.0 b/c it didn't satisfy my IQ requirements.)

I wished for a 100mm f1.4L w IQ like the 200 f2L, but Santa Canon did not deliver - yet.....

In regards to the 135 f/2L, all i can say is GET IT GET IT GET IT! I too shoot high school volleyball; managed to get my lens to an NBA game. You'll love this lens!

[img]
    Sacramento Kings vs Oklahoma City Thunder by ernogy, on Flickr[/img]

Typical high school gym lighting, not as good as the pro arenas of course but the 135 f/2 is fast
    [img]
    Your Serve by ernogy, on Flickr[/img]

If you like the 85mm - have you considered the EF 85mm f/1.8? I haven't tried it for sports, but it has been recommended as the fast AF alternative to the L
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    Arnt

I think the 135L would be a great choice - it's an excellent lens for indoor sports, AF is fast and accurate.

Thanks Erno - great shots.

IMHO, the 85 1.8 just doesn't have the necessary IQ, so even if it focusses fast enough, the fact that my 85 1.2L II beats it easily in sharpness (especially center) at 1.8 rules it out. I'm willing to miss a few shots due to being OOF with the 1.2 b/c the ones in focus look great. The 135 would be a better focal length to shoot my daughter who is an outside hitter b/c across court is the best angle to get her in action.

I'm almost convinced on the 135.... Thanks for the feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DQ0R4476.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	1734

Here's one from Saturday. 1Dx, 200 f2L, 1/1000, f2, ISO 6400. Only slightly cropped w the 200mm cross court.

If you cant get the 200 F2.0 the next best lens is the 135 f2.0
    great lens for indoor sports, just make sure you use single spot focus.

that is one sweet shot Vern! u sure u need a new lens?

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    that is one sweet shot Vern! u sure u need a new lens?
    Careful erno or I'll think you've spoken to my wife

I always need a new lens....

Seriously though, last w/e was the first time I used the 200 for VB and I am pretty happy with the shots. The 135 would be better for some positions though. That shot is almost uncropped so the framing is pretty tight at 200mm. While I like the 70-200 zoom best when there is plenty of light (like at college events), once I put on a prime, I defintely think more about how to make the most of it. Zooms tend to encourage me to stand still and let the lens do the walking/framing.

here's a shot I really like (though it would be better w the girls hands in the frame)

Name:	DQ0R4191lowres.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1736

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Careful erno or I'll think you've spoken to my wife

I always need a new lens....

Seriously though, last w/e was the first time I used the 200 for VB and I am pretty happy with the shots. The 135 would be better for some positions though. That shot is almost uncropped so the framing is pretty tight at 200mm. While I like the 70-200 zoom best when there is plenty of light (like at college events), once I put on a prime, I defintely think more about how to make the most of it. Zooms tend to encourage me to stand still and let the lens do the walking/framing.

here's a shot I really like (though it would be better w the girls hands in the frame)

Name:	DQ0R4191lowres.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1736
    Vern, I like the shot. I think the 135 would be a great lens for you.
    In the upper left corner, looks like your sensor needs some cleaning
    Mark