Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safari lens advice needed

Question Safari lens advice needed

My wife and I are going on safari to Tanzania later this summer, and I'm hoping to capture some good pictures of the wildlife (as well as usual tourist and landscape shots). I've never been on Safari before, so I'm looking for advice about what lenses and gear in general I should bring.

I use a 5DMkIII, and the longest lens I currently own is a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. I've heard that for serious wildlife photography I really should be looking at 300mm, 400mm, and up. There are a few different options, and within reason I'd be happy to buy (or rent, for more expensive gear) whatever the right tool for the job is. However, a big restriction I have is in the total weight of gear I can bring - plus I'd be super nervous about bringing more than I could hand-carry (the thought of checking expensive lenses on internal African flights that are notorious for losing bags makes me shudder).

Given the restrictions, I can basically only bring two lenses, maybe three if one of them is really small (I could probably slip a 50mm f/1.4 into a pocket somewhere, say). My intention is to bring my regular walkabout lens, a 24-105 f/4, in addition to the 70-200mm as my long lens, and then also bring a 2X extender to get extra reach on the 70-200.

Does that plan make sense? Would I be disappointed with the image quality from using an extender? Could I get away with a 1.4X extender, even? Do I need to achieve a longer effective focal length than 400mm to really be happy?

Assume I'm more interested in larger beasts than in birds, and that my quality bar is "discerning amateur" (i.e. not looking to compete with a wildlife pro, but want pictures I'd be happy to print at a decent size and hang on my wall).

If you do recommend a longer lens than the 70-200, which other lens would you pitch off the boat to make room? Assume I need at least some capability to take pictures of stuff other than lions (we have a few days on the beach, etc.).

In this case, I think you have to make a judgement call on the longer lens. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 will give you better results at 400mm @ f/5.6 than the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS (I) with the 2x Extender at 400mm f/5.6.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=113&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=7&API= 0&LensComp=103&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp =6&APIComp=2

If you happen to have EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, then the results are much closer:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=5&APIComp=0

Looking at the ISO chart results should help you decide whether the incremental image quality will be worth the investment. If you're curious, check other comparable focal length lenses (300-400mm) to see how they compare to your 70-200mm + 2x Extender combo.

Safari lens advice needed

I'd consider renting a 300/2.8L IS II and 2xIII.

Thanks! That comparison is definitely helpful. I do have the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, so the results are close, but the 100-400 @ f/5.6 is still better at 400mm. However, with just a 1.4X extender the 70-200mm might even perform a little better. It also looks as though stopping down even a little helps quite a bit in bringing the extender combo closer. There should be plenty of available light, so I can probably afford to stop down to f/8 and still achieve a reasonable shutter speed for stopping action. Definitely looks like that tips the balance in favor of the extender combo.

Anyone with safari experience have thoughts? Is performance at 400mm the right thing to worry about? In practice will I actually end up zoomed in a little tighter on larger game subjects? (Or conversely, would I sometimes be wishing for an even longer lens?)

@neuroanatomist - yes, renting a 300/2.8L and a 2X extender would definitely give me massive reach. However, that's a heavy lens, so I would definitely be leaving a lot of other gear behind in order to make room (no 70-200 for sure, and any thoughts I had of sneaking a wide-angle lens into my wife's baggage would probably go by the wayside as well).

Question is, how much value would I get out of it? Is that combo mostly useful for birds (which I'm not that bothered about), or is it considered essential even for larger game?

It depends partly on where you're going. Serengeti and other parks, you're a reasonable distance from the wildlife. The nice thing about the 300 + 2x is that you have the 2x if you need it, but 300 is a good length, and f/2.8 is good when the wildlife is active (dawn/dusk).

If you go to Ngorongoro, the 24-105 will be fine much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    It depends partly on where you're going. Serengeti and other parks, you're a reasonable distance from the wildlife. The nice thing about the 300 + 2x is that you have the 2x if you need it, but 300 is a good length, and f/2.8 is good when the wildlife is active (dawn/dusk).

If you go to Ngorongoro, the 24-105 will be fine much of the time.
    Check out Andrew's shots. Looks like he used the 300f2.8 both with and without the 1.4.
    Mark

rent the 300 f2.8 or the new 400 f4 LII. both are amazing. bring a 2x converter.
    pro tip: you can hang any lens around your neck. so what if you are wearing the 400 on your body in the cabin. it's not packed, it's not luggage.

Good point... I nearly suggested both TCs, the 1.4 may be a better choice if taking only one.

I was last there before I had a dSLR, took a P&S superzoom with a 38-380mm FF equivalent lens. On Zanzibar and occasionally in Tanzania, wider would have been nice. In Tanzania, many times I could have used a longer lens. But the 5DIII allows quite a bit more latitude for cropping than I had, so 420mm would likely have done the job.

In Rwanda, I was taking tight portraits of mountain gorillas at the FF-equivalent of 85-135mm.

Thanks guys, this is super helpful information. Those are some really nice shots, BTW.

Looks like renting the 300mm f/2.8 may be the way to go, bringing an extender for some extra flexibility. Will keep the 24-105 f/4 for general purpose use and reluctantly leave my favorite lens (70-200mm f/2.8 IS II) behind this time.

We're going to both the Serengeti and Ngorongoro. Is it worth trying to find a way to cram in a wide-angle lens as well (I'm thinking 16-35mm) for landscapes, or are there not enough opportunities to make it worthwhile.