Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T5i a monumental upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The grass isn't as green over there as some might have you believe....
    ...but the screens are?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    ...but the screens are?
    LOL! +1,

I certainly don't understand retail marketing to the masses - I was early and often a critic that the 1dx was not the move I was hoping for. I bought the 5dIII as it was the current full frame that really made any sense to me - the 1dx would be to the run & gun constantly changing exposure/photo journalist not sure the sports venues don't have that great of a change in exposure frame to frame. No doubt the 1dx is a heck of a camera, at my level/budget/interest couldn't justify the step.

I think the T5i is a significant step up from the T3i. The SL-1 is an interesting product - I never used the tilt screen all that much and the smaller form factor, touchscreen, begs an interesting question of is "small enough" to compete w/ a mirrorless? stick a pancake on it for street shooting and hmmmmmm.

My two pennies
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 03-22-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: grammer
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

T5i a monumental upgrade

Count me as holding out for some hands on experience/reviews before deciding if this is a major upgrade. New sensor could be good. Or it could be a rehash. But this product could be maturing. For example, it's not like new calculator releases are big improvements. Not that I don't see room for improvement.

Being a shooting/gun enthusiast that dabbles in photography I'm thinking I'll get a T5i. It takes the same Battery and accepts the same battery grip as my T3i but is still a significant upgrade from the T3i. I'll probably get the battery grip and another battery as well.

I'll probably focus on photography more seriously, one day, but until then a Rebel body is plenty good for me.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I'd say that they need a good release more to hush the pissed-off canon fanboys (at least people here are more polite than at CR, I'm just not bothering to read the posts there today)
    +2
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Newbie here but not a Nikonian

I have a 5dMkiii, 16-35 IIf 2.8, 24-70 IIf 2,8 and 70-200 IIf2.8 - a dream combination. I have sold my 7D because my 5D mkIII and 24-70 ii f2.8 is so sharp I can crop past the 7d and still have better photos BUT this three lens + camera combo is a lot of weight for travel photography.

Not over the moon with a 60d and 18-200 but have looked seriously at a Nikon 7100 and 18-300 combo for travel. On latest Scott Kelby BH video for travel he has dumped his great lenses and substituted a single 18-300. The video assumes this is the lens he has used for the photos he expertly manipulates with photoshop. Juza users rate this lens 9.7/10. I am on the fence. I have a travel photo bag and only what fits in goes. The 5dMkIII 24-70II is so good I am wondering if this alone with cropping will outperform a 7100/18-300.

regards, Neil

T5i a monumental upgrade

[QUOTE= The 5dMkIII 24-70II is so good I am wondering if this alone with cropping will outperform a 7100/18-300.
    regards, Neil[/QUOTE]
    I very much doubt it. I also have a 5DIII and use a T4i with 18-200mm for travel. So far I am happy with its performance. For me it's choosing the right tool for the right job.

Thanks mark, that's really useful info

Neil