Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5i a monumental upgrade

T5i a monumental upgrade

Looking at this upgrade, knowing the camera is intended for the entry level DSLR crowd I have to say; Huh?
    Most if not all of the improvements will go unnoticed to the novice buying this camera.
    Lack luster releases by Canon seems to be a pattern the last few years.

Canon needs to release a few bodies with a WOW factor.
    Where is the 7DII, the new M body and the high MP camera that everyone asks for?

I agree with you that I want to see some pizzazz from Canon in a 7DII. Furthermore, I hope the rumored 70D blows us away. The M body launch was a fiasco, although the latter is so new I don't hope to see an upgrade this soon.

However, I think the 5Ti has to be viewed in terms of the upgrade to the kit lens packaged with it, which is how most people will buy it. The new 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, with a UD element, is a great improvement for the Rebel kit, even if improvements to the body are slight. Remember, the T4i is less than a year old (released June 15, 2012). With the step motor drive in the kit lens the flagship Rebel now takes full advantage of the movie mode AF feature, so as a whole the lens and body kit is a much improved off the shelf amateur video camera.

Perhaps Canon should have held off launching the T4i until this lens was ready. That would have made a much bigger splash.

I'm confused. The two new DSLRs have the DIGIC 5 processor, but the two new PowerShots have the DIGIC 6? I would think the DSLRs would get the new processor as well.

I agree that the upgrades in the T5i will go unnoticed by the entry level DSLR buyer. Maybe Canon is assuming they will be buying the much smaller SL1?

The all cross-type AF points is nice to have at the entry level, but it seriously makes me scratch my head about the 6D's lack of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The all cross-type AF points is nice to have at the entry level, but it seriously makes me scratch my head about the 6D's lack of them.
    Wasn't that already the case for the T4i?
    At least the 6D has two more AF points ;-) and they might still perform better in low light (just guessing here)
    Arnt

Canon seems to spit out new Rebels like a chicken lays eggs. Each has one or two new features, but no huge leap in technology. It keeps Canon on the minds of buyers. But taken as whole the jump in technology from the T1i I bought just a few years ago to the T5i is quite impressive. At the time I bought the T1i, the higher-end models were the 5D MkII and the 7D. The 5D MkIII was certainly a quantum leap over the MkII (if you feel it actually was the replacement for the MkII). The 6D is supposedly a new line. So maybe the 7D MkII will also benefit from a big leap in technology (as well as cost, I'm sure).
    Mark - Flickr

I am not sure I would call the 5D III over the 5D II a quantum leap. I am sure the AF system is worthwhile.
    The 5D to 5D II was a big step. The release of the 7D was a big step.
    Then the releases started getting marginal.
    The 60D was a bomb.
    The 1D X while it has some bright spots, it took many in a direction they hadn't anticipated. I would say the 1D X was a lack luster release IMO. It wasn't the replacement to the 1Ds III many were hoping for.
    Canon needs a release to hush the Nikonian fan boys for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I'd say that they need a good release more to hush the pissed-off canon fanboys (at least people here are more polite than at CR, I'm just not bothering to read the posts there today)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I'd say that they need a good release more to hush the pissed-off canon fanboys (at least people here are more polite than at CR, I'm just not bothering to read the posts there today)
    Many of the CR contributors are Nikonians in Canon Fan Boy disguise. It usually takes them about 50 posts before they are revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I am not sure I would call the 5D III over the 5D II a quantum leap. I am sure the AF system is worthwhile.
    The 5D to 5D II was a big step. The release of the 7D was a big step.
    Then the releases started getting marginal.
    The 60D was a bomb.
    The 1D X while it has some bright spots, it took many in a direction they hadn't anticipated. I would say the 1D X was a lack luster release IMO. It wasn't the replacement to the 1Ds III many were hoping for.
    Agreed! If they're going to release one, the 7DII has my vote.