Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Portrait

Self Portrait

The other day after seeing a really kool image by Greg Gorman show up on my Facebook newsfeed, I decided to try something kinda like it so I got my gear out and started shooting away. I'd love to hear what guys think! Here's one of the images I shot:

Caleb Royer

Canon 5D III / 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 100 2.8 macro / 50 1.8 II / 580EX II / two strobes / iMac / Creative Cloud

Re: Self Portrait

Absolutely nothing negative to say. You didn't lose the hat and jacket to the background on the left side, and the tone looks perfect on my phone. I'd be proud of the shot.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Really nice! IMO the lighting and framing are great. Both subject and photographer should be proud

Couldn't agree more, great shot Caleb

Agree, great shot. I've taken one or two self-portraits before *ahem*, so I know a good one when I see one. ;-)

Well thanks guys! I'm glad you'll like it.
    Caleb Royer

Canon 5D III / 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 100 2.8 macro / 50 1.8 II / 580EX II / two strobes / iMac / Creative Cloud

Yep, I like it Caleb. Reminds me of the cutshots used on SNL. Care to share the setup?

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    Yep, I like it Caleb. Reminds me of the cutshots used on SNL. Care to share the setup?
    Thank you very much! =)

The setup is simple really, that was some of my motivation to take try the shot actually. Alright, so I'm standing up. I set the 5D III at eye level on a tripod about 5 feet from myself with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. The setting are as follows: f/8 aperture, ISO 100, 1/200 shutter speed. I set up two 200 watt strobes with the standard dish on both to get a nice, hard light. I put one light about a foot above my head, about 2 feet from me and off to one the side. The second light isn't even needed for this image. I was using it as a rim light for the back of my head but it's not showing up in this image and I'm fine with that. So really, one light is all it needs.
    I started without the sunglasses and hat but my blond, short hair wasn't working. This is much better looking.
    I hope that explains it okay. Thanks!
    Caleb Royer

That explains it very well. Thank you. What was your background?

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    That explains it very well. Thank you. What was your background?
    Awesome! The background was a wall cluttered with junk but I put the lights far enough away that it was mostly dark. I finished it off by making it completely black in photoshop. Not the best way maybe but it did work.
    Caleb Royer