Thread: Travel Lens

Travel Lens

I usually travel overseas with too many lenses.
    I take the 24-70 2.8, and the 70-200 2.8
    this covers my range quite well
    Then I take a 24 1.4 for indoor no flash, and I sqeeze in the 17-40 for the wider shots.
    I am trying to lighten my load for my next trip,
    I will more than likely take out the 17-40 but that is it
    I have full frame and crop bodies and I am a stickler for image quality and I do enlarge to as much as 13x11

I am tempted to look at some of the EF-S lenses and just take the 1.6 50D and a backup.
    The range on some of these is attractive:
    Th 18-200 is very tempting.
    This will probably only be a travel lens and not used for my weddings.

Can anyone comment on the IQ of this lens or make my travel pack less hefty with other suggestions.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    The 18-200 is very tempting....Can anyone comment on the IQ of this lens
    I use the EF-S 18-200mm on a T4i and I really like it. It is very capable of taking sharp images. I got a refurb from B&H for $400 which was a tremendous deal. I bought it with the T4i to have a super light, super versatile travel package. When I am shooting seriously I grab the 5D III but when I'm out and about with my kids I want both wide & long in one small package. This is no L lens but you can still make some fantastic images with it. Check out Bryan's review and his sample images.

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Sample Pictures

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
    Last edited by Mark Elberson; 03-26-2013 at 05:21 PM.

I would leave the 17-40 as well.
    I wouldn't buy any EF-S lenses. Just take the crop body as a backup.

You contradict yourself, you say you are lightening your load and then ask for advice on which lens to add.

My wife is using this lens on a 7D. To record typical vacation memories at type f8, it works quite well. But for more critical photography it does have its clear shortcomings (sharpness, CA, and all the rest). Shot wide open, for portraits or low light does not produce acceptable results in my view. Compared to what you have listed as alternatives, you will have issues. The upside is of course the compact size and wide zoom range.
    Personally I travel with the 16-35 f2.8 II, 24-70 f2.8 II and the 70-200 f2.8 II. I usually also throw in a fast prime (24 f1.4L II, 50 f1.2L, 85f1.2L II or more recently the Sigma 35 f1.4) and the 2x III extender. A good backpac to hold it, with room for PC, water bottle etc. Is required though. I have a Tamrac I am very happy with. If I had to reduce, I'd skip the 16-35 and the fast prime. The high ISO performance on the 5DIII and 1DX is so good that f2.8 is sufficient.
    But I think most of us have had the same dilemma. Good luck!
    Eldar