Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third party lenses for 5DIII

The equivalent lens would be the 16-35mm f/2.8 or the 17-40mm. Any thing over 24mm you will prefer to use the 24-70mm because it is so much better.

For me I find 24mm wide enough. A few mm less you start seeing lens distortion. I have had a 16-35mm for years, now that I have the 24-70mm I am going to sell it. If the wide lens look is what I wanted I think I will choose one of Canon or Zeiss primes to compliment the 24-70mm.

Third party lenses for 5DIII

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    For me I find 24mm wide enough. A few mm less you start seeing lens distortion. I have had a 16-35mm for years, now that I have the 24-70mm I am going to sell it. If the wide lens look is what I wanted I think I will choose one of Canon or Zeiss primes to compliment the 24-70mm.
    I don't use my 16-35 very often, but when I do the majority of shots are <24 mm. I like having an ultra wide option, but the 14L is a bit too wide. I hope Canon brings a 14-24ish lens to market. The only prime I've considered as a replacement for the 16-35 is the TS-E 17mm. But sometimes, like this shot at 17mm, 1/25 s, f/3.2 and ISO 12800, a faster aperture and AF help to capture the right timing...

I have a bit of the same dilemma. I am moving to FF from the 7D. I bought the EFS 10-22 a year ago and very rarely used it. But wide angle photography is something that I think I could get into. For now, I am focusing on the rest of my FF kit, but, I have been watching and a couple forum members seem to be taking excellent photos woth the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8.

A few from Ben Taylor:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_tay...in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_tay...in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_tay...n/photostream/

While I will get other lenses first, I am debating between this (~$450) and the 17-40 f/4 for my FF wide angle option.

Well that cinches it. Selling the 7D and my two EF-S lenses to fund the 24-70II. Really came around quick on that. Just going all in.
    Insanely excited for the 5D, and it should get here tomorrow. Have a concert to shoot tomorrow, and gonna be real tempted to take it with. But guess I'll give the 7D one last show, for old time's sake.
    Thanks for all the input!

Enjoy! And please share some pictures
    Arnt