Thread: I had some free time, so I decided to make myself some business cards. Thoughts?

I had some free time, so I decided to make myself some business cards. Thoughts?

I figured something like this would be good to have, especially at shows that I go to, to pass out to the promoters or members of the bands. There's also been a few times where I have been out and about and people have approached me and asked about my camera and what I shoot. Mostly this stemmed from boredom, but maybe I'll actually be able to get some work out of it, who knows?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I figured this was a better place to post it rather than Image Critique.

Last edited by DavidWare; 03-29-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Re: I had some free time, so I decided to make myself some business cards. Thoughts?

Might block out your phone number for the site.
    Are email addresses cap sensitive? If so, you might adjust that. I'll peek at it some more. Just wanted to make sure I told you about your number.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I fixed it, didn't think of that when I posted. And as far as I know, they are not cap sensitive, but I am curious what you think should be adjusted.

I haven't quite found something to specialize in just yet, but my two favorite things to shoot are shows, and nature/wildlife. I've done some people photography, senior or baby pictures here and there, but nothing special like a wedding or anything. I'm open to pretty much anything though and I am always willing to learn more, so at this stage, I think the generic term photographer works.

As for the facebook page, I just started it so it is rather empty right now, but I so far have galleries set up for Band Photography, Landscapes, and Wildlife. Two of those only have a picture each in them so far, because I havent gotten around to adding old pictures just yet. Feel free to take a peek though.

www.facebook.com/DavidWarePhoto

Re: I had some free time, so I decided to make myself some business cards. Thoughts?

I suck on type fonts (and design) , so I can't give any advice there, but the actual card stock it's printed on makes a statement as much as the text. If it's thin stock, I think fly-by-night. Nubs down the sides isn't promising either. If this was 12yrs ago, I'd tell ya to use a slightly oversized card. One that wouldn't fit in the normal holder. One that someone would cuss at every time they pass by it on their desk.. sitting on TOP of the smaller plastic business card box. In plain sight and not piled in a cluttered, unorganized, heep. A box only to be opened when adding other faceless cards, never to be thought of again. But your card, the card that sits atop all others because of it's odd size,.. always in their mind dude. You could also have a gimmick. If you design clothing for example, have your standard stuff on one side, and the other have "where the back is just as important as the front" and it be all tricked out too with a drawn model seductively looking over her shoulder back towards you wearing a stunning full length dress. Sadly, it's 2013 and the most important thing is your website, and making it possible for people to see a mental image of that name. At least long enough to find and favorite it. The business card right now is being used more as a second-chance-to-sell-ya or gentle reminder. Kinda like a follow-up call, but not in a pushy way.
    I've pecked entirely too much nonsense out here. Short answer,looks fine
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I'm no professional just so you know. It looks good to me. I don't know about saying "Please". It almost sounds like you're begging but I don't know, just a thought. =)
    Caleb Royer

Canon 5D III / 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 100 2.8 macro / 50 1.8 II / 580EX II / two strobes / iMac / Creative Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by C.R.S. View Post
    I'm no professional just so you know. It looks good to me. I don't know about saying "Please". It almost sounds like you're begging but I don't know, just a thought. =)
    Please is appropriate. Mom always told me to say please and thank-you.

However, and David take this as just constructive thoughts for your use not negative;
    Please check out my page doesn't cut it. If you want to look Pro it comes off amateur saying your facebook page is your website or web page.
    If you have a web page, you have a web page that appears is if you customized it.
    Having a facebook page, you and a half a billion others have it.
    You might say instead.
    Check me out on facebook
    Or
    "Like" me on facebook

Your email address; This is a small thing but if I think this way others probably do to.
    In my business if I get a vendor or sub that uses a "gmail" account as his business account my first thought is that he can't afford a regular email account. Nor a domain name of his own. It is subtle but it gives me clues about the person I am dealing with, and the level they are committed to their profession. I am not saying I avoid the person's business but it gives me a bit of information. I have used subcontractors who work out of their pick up trucks and have no hired help and sub's that do work worldwide. In this instance of a photographer my first thought about gmail is a photographer just starting out.

A paper suggestion is this, if I were making business cards as a photographer I would use my pixma pro and print the cards on high quality heavy photo paper. As a background pick a good interesting photo that you have done and overlay it with the your info and text. IMO such a card says photographer.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 03-29-2013 at 05:36 PM.

I agree with HDNitehawk in all his points. In my business, you are sometimes not allowed to use non-institutional e-mail addresses like hotmail and gmail when submitting scientific articles to journals. Also, since gmail always is written gmail (not GMail), I suggest that you follow google's way.

One additional comment: Since the fonts you use are quite stylish (in a positive way!), it would perhaps fit better if the camera image was "stylized" in a similar manner. The appearance of the logo with the camera and your name crashes a bit with the font on the rest of the card. Moreover, it is perhaps a bit too detailed to be printed on a small business card.

That being said, i must admit that I envy that you have come so far in photography that you need a business card...

Lars