Thread: How do you deal with your big white lenses in the field???

How do you deal with your big white lenses in the field???

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-23-2014 at 01:32 PM.

I have the tiny version of big, white, and 300mm (70-300L). I've always shot handheld with the lens on the camera, and the camera on the supplied neck strap, so no advice about tripods, aside from don't cheap out, or the whole thing will vibrate and the tripod will be useless.

The combination of 1Ds mk II and 70-300L though, has convinced me that I need to invest in something other than the default neck strap, like the Black Rapid system, to get the weight off my neck. I can only imagine the situation being worse with bigger and heavier lenses. So, step one, get your self comfy.

I swapped the Canon foot on my 600 II for the RRS replacement foot, Arca-compatible and usable as a handle. I carry it on a Blackrapid left-handed sport strap (on the left side, so I can raise it and support the lens with my left hand, and operate the 1D X with my right), usually with my hand wrapped around the handle, but the BR strap bearing the weight.

I wear a Lowepro light utility belt, on which I carry a RRS MC-34 monopod with MH-02 Pro tilt head (held with a Maxpediton universal flashlight sheath). The belt also has a lens case 1N which holds both the 1.4x and 2x TCs, a lens case 8x6 which holds extension tubes (both 12 and 25 will fit, at the same time), and an S&F bottle pouch with a water bottle.

I use a Gitzo tripod with Wimberly gimbal head and carry it over my shoulder, making sure its all locked down tight. I have padded tripod leg covers on the upper section. When not using the tripod I carry the 500mm lens and body by the lens foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I use a Gitzo tripod with Wimberly gimbal head and carry it over my shoulder, making sure its all locked down tight. I have padded tripod leg covers on the upper section. When not using the tripod I carry the 500mm lens and body by the lens foot.
    I do the same with my RRS legs/gimbal - but only for short walks from the car. I've hiked miles with the lens on the BR strap and the monopod on the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    +1, but no padded legs.
    I don't use a head on my monopod. I do the same with the monopod, balanced over the shoulder. Watch a few football games and you will see the photogs carrying their 500mm this way.
    With the 500 what is more important to me is how I carry the 500 in my truck. I have a dedicated back pack for the 500, when in a park to have it at the ready I can open the bag and get it prepped and ready. I take a few of the wife's pillows to prop the bag up on the center console and I am ready with the lens and camera sitting in the open pack.

The 300 is a totally different animal. Using it is more like using an oversized 70-200mm.

I have a caddy doing all the hauling for me. She's also responsible for wind speed and direction, distance to subject, lenses, bird call, hydration, moral support and of course she would sacrifice herself if the subject decides to eat me.

Tripod & Gimbal with padded legs: For short distance I put my shoulder between the tripod legs with all three legs opened, this way I can put the whole rig down and shoot quickly. For long distance I tilt my long lens until it touches one of the legs, then I fold all the legs and put the whole thing over my shoulder (kinda like you would carry a log), this allow me to walk faster.

Handholding: I carry my 500 like you would carry a toddler, with the hood facing downward.

Here's a setup I posted on earlier that I really like when walking a long way with the 600mm f4 II:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6682lowres.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	1797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6680lowres.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	1798

This is the wimberly side kick mounted on a monopod using a RRS L bracket as the right angle connector. Per a suggestion from neuroanatomist, I have now placed a RRS clamp b/t the L-bracket and the top of the monopod so that that connection is more solid. I find a monopod very helpful in handling this lens and much more maneuverable in the field around wildlife than a tripod. The gimbal action makes the whole set-up more stable and flexible for shooting birds in trees etc. I bought a couple of shoulder harness straps to use with this outfit - CS-PRO Mark II by Carry Speed and BlackRapid BLRSSC RS-Sport Extreme Sport Strap. I think I like the CS-Pro strap better for this amount of weight as it is a little wider (the BR strap has been great w the 1Dx + 200 f2 at VB tournaments though), but I haven't mastered the best way to carry the monopod and lens when they are attached. Maybe neuroanatomist can post a pic of how he does this w the left handed strap?

I find a tripod over the shoulder to be too hard to move through the woods (always catching on something) and although the RRS gimbal on a tripod is super for shooting around my bird feeders, I don't take it on hikes.
    Last edited by Vern; 04-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.