View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonathan Huyer

6 25.00%
  • bgood

5 20.83%
  • nvitalephotography

8 33.33%
  • Andy Stringer

2 8.33%
  • CLS

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #50 - Challenge Yourself (congrats nvitalephotography)

BL3A3285 by shashin_chimeiteki, on Flickr

It's 10:45 PM EST, I hope that's ok! I didn't want to be late
    Last edited by UmiKaibutsu; 05-01-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Oops, 2 and a half hours late. I went out and got this picture tonight. It's a challenge to me because I hardly ever use a tripod, and I've never done an exposure for more than 2 seconds or so. I also have never attempted photographing stars. I took this shot about 5 times over while trying to get it right. I hope you accept my entry!

Portsmouth Naval Prison, Portsmouth, NH
    Last edited by DavidWare; 05-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Great input everyone! Unfortunately I have been ill for a few weeks and now I'm really busy at work and in my private life to get back on track. This weekend I will be in Luxembourg, so I won't be able to do anything around here. Therefor I'd like to extend the entry period with 10 days. The new end of the entry-period will be the 10th of May. I hope you'll understand. See you soon!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    I'll take advantage of the extended entry period.

I've been wanting to try this for a long time and finally got around to making myself do it.The trouble was I couldnt think of a good location, then I thought of the perfect place. Very happy with the results (for the first try anyway).

Re: #50 - Challenge Yourself

Very cool. I've considered doing that a couple of times but haven't gotten around to it.

Well done!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So this was a challenging shoot for me because the environment was completely different than any I had shot in previously. I do mostly outdoor and landscapes. This was at the Chicago Auto Show. So indoors, completely different lighting and surrounded by thousands of people. I also struggle to get good "detail" shots. So I was trying to focus on that while I was there. This was one of my favorite images from that shoot.

20130216-IMG_4039_reduced by sambisu, on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sambisu/

5DIII, T2i, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT x2

Double challenge for this picture:
    1: I recently bought a macro lens and this is one of the first pictures
    2: I'm starting to use Lightroom, so this is also one of the first pictures exported from it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-09_06.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	1837

I know it's been a while since I posted on the forums. Life's been busy and I've had a lot of issues to deal with so photography has taken a back seat lately, but I couldn't resist this challenge. I doubt that my entry will win any prizes for quality. It is, however, the most challenging subject I've ever tried to photograph. Most people find birds in flight are difficult enough, especially those with an erratic flight pattern. Imagine trying to do it in the dark, with bats instead of birds. I had to set the focus manually and judge when the bat flew past at the right distance, then react quickly enough to press the shutter. I didn't get any perfectly sharp results, even at f/22. This was my best shot.

Common Pipistrelle Bat by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

I'd be grateful to anyone that can suggest how I might be able to get a sharper result. Please PM me so that we don't hijack this assignment. If it works, I'll share the results in another thread.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 05-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.

An area of photography that I really would like to improve on is "everyday street photography". I simply feel embarrassed/awkward when I try to take pictures of strangers in public. When this assignment was announced I decided to make a serious attempt, so over the last month I've been trying hard to fight my inconvenience. One thing I discovered is that people in general are less reluctant to being photographed than I originally thought. I've had only a few "angry eyes" while most people just don't seem to care. I've even had a few smiles and one couple asked me if I could e-mail them a shot I took of them (of course I did). But the results have been poor so far - the really interesting photos of people living their lives that I had in mind haven't showed up (yet). But I've taken a big step towards feeling more comfortable with my camera among strangers. And that's good enough for me. Still I decided to submit my favorite from this month. This was taken at an event where a "magician" mingled with the people in-between concerts and showed them various card tricks. The girl was clearly impressed. (This one may not really be a "street photo", but sort of similar.)

Thanks everyone for your imput! The entry-period is now over.
    The results are pretty amazing and I see a lot of real challenges. You're all winners to me Very well done!
    I'll try to select my favorites tomorrow, it's gonna be a hard decision round