View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonathan Huyer

6 25.00%
  • bgood

5 20.83%
  • nvitalephotography

8 33.33%
  • Andy Stringer

2 8.33%
  • CLS

3 12.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #50 - Challenge Yourself (congrats nvitalephotography)

It was a really hard decision, because to me every challenge was a good challenge, but the finalists have been selected and the poll is now opened. Good luck!

Sheiky, do you realize that I literally had to grind the ink stone with the ink stick to make the ink in my photo from scratch? The ink stick is made of ash, held by glue. The ink stone is slightly abrasive and has a well at one end to hold the ink. It must be of a moderate consistency so it does not bleed on the rice paper.

The purpose of the photo was to express that the written words were existing in the ink before they were put on paper with the brush. I had a second thought about doing the photo with a blank page, as opposed to the blurred writings on the page. It would have made the narrow depth of field less apparent and not as likely to be mistaken for an out of focus picture. Hopefully the focal point in the reflection of the ink was obvious enough.

:: little bit of drama :: lol. I wonder what a good title would be? "Thoughts in the ink"?

Back to the drawing board, or bulletin board I should say, awaiting the next challenge.

Thanks for your reply. When I was picking the finalists yesterday I could motivate myself at every single photo that has been submitted to make it a finalists photo. Congrats to all of you, because I really enjoyed it. Luckily my girlfriend helped me out a bit by narrowing my choices down.

@Umi, in all fairness I didn't realize that at all and I applaud you for your dedication. I honestly had no idea what your challenge was about. By only looking at your photo I couldn't see it. Perhaps because I was unaware of what was going on in it. I checked your Flickr as well for an explanation, but couldn't find any.

As I said, I liked all the entries and I could really see myself doing most of the challenges as well, which made the choice quite hard.

@Jan(Sheiky) and @Umi, putting a small description about your shot is sometimes necessary and sometimes not. Most people include a story behind the shot in this forum and that suits the friendly, sharing and encouraging nature. I like to read the captions because it helps me identify with the subject matter and share the thought process of the photographer.
    I did this in another forum with one of my B&W's and one persons feedback on my image was that they wished I had just posted the pic and said nothing. I ruined it for them by explaining a bit about the person in the shot. This person said that they wanted to experience the image for themselves and be moved in the direction their own imagination took them and I got in the way of that.
    There is no right answer here, just what works for you.
    @ Umi, I loved your explanation of your image, but I had no idea that was a reflection on the stone, I didn't even know it was an ink stone because I am not familiar with those objects. The concept of your image is ingenius though and I really like the thought put into your image. Very inspirational and hopefully encourages you and the rest of us to try something different.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Nice, I had some trouble choosing where to put my vote :-)

And we have a winner.... congratulations Nick!

Pretty tight contest. Congrats to all the finalists and to Nick for a great shot!

Congrats Nick, I've actually never thought (or heard) of this "burning metal rain" before but I'll definitely try it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post

I'd be grateful to anyone that can suggest how I might be able to get a sharper result. Please PM me so that we don't hijack this assignment. If it works, I'll share the results in another thread.
    Here is how it can be done: http://www.phototrap.com/

(oops...didn't mean to hijack the thread)
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-15-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Congrats, Nick! Your shot got my vote.