Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections & Punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I absolutely love it! I would have never known it was a composite unless you had mentioned it (good job in post). You did a good job lighting the image for the ultimate gritty look. And the flour looks like an awful lot of fun (files that one away and thinks, "Good artists copy; great artists steal!"). :-)

Seriously Rocco, you're stuff is getting better and better. Your creativity and master of lighting have combined once again for awe-inspiring results. Very well done. Wish I had thought of it for Halloween...
    Thanks Sean!

Maybe next year I'll actually get a Halloween shoot done before November. heh.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I agree w/ Sean wouldn't have seen it as composite - really like it. Creative use of flour. Trying, trying to stay way from the puns, trying, trying ahhhhhhhhh. Hope you make some dough from it.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I agree w/ Sean wouldn't have seen it as composite - really like it. Creative use of flour. Trying, trying to stay way from the puns, trying, trying ahhhhhhhhh. Hope you make some dough from it.
    Ha! You guys kill me. Punniest forum I've ever been on.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Trevor Tinkers

My girlfriend's son had a career day at his school and he opted to shadow me on a photo shoot. In typical pre-teen fashion we didn't get much notice so I was in a scramble to set up a shoot for that morning.

Usually my photo shoots take more of an editorial approach. I like to photograph people -doing- rather than posing. Trevor was available and is known among all of my friends as a Macgyver type guy, the handy one that genuinely loves to show up and help anyone with whatever type of project they happen to be working on. He's always good for it. He tinkers, and his workbench shows that. Seemed like the obvious setting.

What I didn't count on was how small it was. It is a shed in his back yard, I would guess it's 8'x10' at best.

I had a beauty dish with diffusion sock on an Einstein camera left as my main light. A speedlite with a cut and a half CTO camera left on the back wall and my 64" PLM in the doorway behind me for fill, the only place I could stand.

Overall I'm pleased with the results. I had planned on my main light being my softbox with a grid for directional control and to avoid spill, but I forgot it at home. The only way I could restrict the main light from hitting the background and negating the cto color splash was to have a GoBo between the einstein and the background.

The important part is that her son had a blast helping with everything, and he took about 300 frames himself.

Canon 7D - Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS @17mm, 1/250 sec, ISO 100, f/8

Jr. Prom

My girlfriend's oldest boy had Jr. Prom last night (the handsome one). Of course, I was nominated to take photos. What a fun group of kids! The sky didn't do what it was supposed to do at all. When I found the spot early yesterday morning the sun was shining and it was a beautiful spring day. The plan was to use the sun as a back light and to add texture to the photo and maybe some interesting shadow through the vines. Was going to use a single Einstein to fill them in.. then as we got there a freak storm came in and ruined my plans. I was able to underexpose the sky by a couple stops to add some interest and drama, but of course this put a lot of the surrounding area in silhouette. I only had half an hour with these kids before they went off to dinner, so I'm please with what we were able to get.

It's not the technically sound masterpiece that I had in my head, but I still dig it. Was going for a different type of pose with these guys. Something that speaks to their personalities more with less of a wedding party feel. Photos for them to look back on, not the traditional pics that their parents would undoubtedly request. Was bordering on band photo.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 04-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Fendrick Family

Hey all!

This shoot was originally supposed to be an engagement session, but when I was location scouting I completely overlooked the fact that she had said that she wanted the photos to flow with the colors and theme of her wedding. She wanted green foliage. Our reshoot is in a couple of days.

Had a blast and despite getting the premise wrong, they love them. I'll get some print sales at the very least. Have the whole set below. As always, I'm hungry for critiques and comments. Thanks for looking!

And because it's completely impossible to do a photo-shoot with this family and not have shenanigans, this happened:

And back to the serious stuff..

And a setup shot (for the last couple pic). I guess I should mention that for all but the shot of just the kids I only used one of my lights.

Thoughts?

Also, wasn't sure about sharing the whole set. Thoughts on that? I'm not sure there's such thing as too slow of an internet connection anymore when it comes to pics.. Dial up is dead, right?

Thanks!

-Rocco

Rocco,

Nice set!

Came through just fine over my 28.8 kpbs modem (just took 3 1/2 minutes to load the page). :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Rocco,

Nice set!

Came through just fine over my 28.8 kpbs modem (just took 3 1/2 minutes to load the page). :-P
    Man.. do you remember how INCREDIBLE it was when the 56k modem hit the market?! Fastest. Ever.

Blowing up the Cliche

When I sat down for a client meeting to discuss an upcoming wedding a few weeks ago, I was anything but excited about the shot list they provided. It was full of every photographic cliche imaginable. The only thing that was missing was railroad tracks and a jumping picture..

The groom HAD to have a picture with him and the groomsmen ripping open their shirts, displaying their superhero shirts of choice underneath. He even provided a picture his fiance found on pinterest to illustrate what he wanted.

Picture:

I am jack's complete lack of enthusiasm.

BUT I am a professional... and a shot list is easy enough to fill. If I'm going to spend the time to do something though, I'm going to do it my way and avoid recreating a pinterest find at all costs.

Overall I'm pleased with my results. Actually had fun doing it, too. They couldn't be happier.

Here's my take on the photo above:

I took a screenshot from Gears of War (xbox 360 game) and put them in it. Setup was simple enough. Two einsteins (modifiers and position different for each photo). Took multiple photos of each person and took the best shots for the composite. Shot with my 7D and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Thanks for looking!

-Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 07-01-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Very nicely done - well executed. I like the composite. :-)