Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Reflections & Punctuation

  1. #51
    Senior Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    576

    A Fall Family Shoot

    Been trying to work out a time with these guys for over a month now. We finally locked down the time and got a perfect window in the middle of a horrible day as far as weather is concerned. Lucky to find a tree that still carries leaves. (Not sure the breed.)



    This was pretty straight forward. Had my subjects walk towards the camera. Camera left is a 64" PLM with diffusion, feathered towards camera a bit, camera right was a large softbox for fill, oriented horizontally to avoid filling in shadow on the grass. and of course the sun, behind and camera left. Both modifiers were PCB Einsteins triggered by the PocketWizard Power MC2 and PocketWizard TT5 on camera. Canon 7d, 17-55mm f/2.8 @ ISO 200, 1/250th sec, f/8 - 28mm.

    CC Welcomed!

    -Richard
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

  2. #52
    Senior Member conropl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post

    Speaking of.. I often reach out to some of the more successful photographers in the industry and ask for CC. David DuChemin and Benjamin VonWong have both agreed to give me their thoughts on this photo! I could post them here for everyone to benefit, if you guys would like.

    Thanks!

    -Richard
    Yes please
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    466
    Would love to see what critique gets offered on that shot!
    Have you tried looking at Renee Robyn for some ideas on where you could take that Candid Coyote van to next? Could get interesting.....

  4. #54
    Senior Member Jayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    1,650
    First let me say that I think the shot is great. You did an excellent job capturing this family in a way I think they will print big on their wall. I could see this over the couch or something. My only nit pick would be shadows on the faces. This could be personal preference, but in family photos I like to have the faces bright and out there. Mom's face is good, just wish that her hair was a little further back so you could see some more of her face. The father I think could use a little tweak on the dark side of his face. It looks good, but I think a flatter ratio might make it better. The child is going to be the focus point of this photo and I think her face, and maybe her in general, should be the brightest of them all. Right now it is one of if not the darkest. I think everything else about the photo is awesome! Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't come anywhere near the quality of work the others critiquing your work do.

    Jayson

  5. #55
    Administrator Sean Setters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,341
    I'd have to agree with Jayson about the shadows on the faces. The shadows on mom and dad's faces aren't too bad, as they give definition to their faces. But the kid's face is dark, and she should be the main focus of the image because of her placement in the scene and her importance in tying the family together. I feel like a gridded flash right on her would have been ideal, but probably not feasible given the movement of the subjects.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Would love to see what critique gets offered on that shot!
    Have you tried looking at Renee Robyn for some ideas on where you could take that Candid Coyote van to next? Could get interesting.....
    Will do! Already got my response from David DuChemin, VonWong said he was very busy, but would get to it when he could. I'll post after I have them both. As far as Renee Robyn goes, I've talked with her a couple times! Super cool photog. She critiqued my "Fugitive Bride" photo for me and one of her pics was the inspiration for the Halloween Selfie I took with flour last year.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

  7. #57
    Senior Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    First let me say that I think the shot is great. You did an excellent job capturing this family in a way I think they will print big on their wall. I could see this over the couch or something. My only nit pick would be shadows on the faces. This could be personal preference, but in family photos I like to have the faces bright and out there. Mom's face is good, just wish that her hair was a little further back so you could see some more of her face. The father I think could use a little tweak on the dark side of his face. It looks good, but I think a flatter ratio might make it better. The child is going to be the focus point of this photo and I think her face, and maybe her in general, should be the brightest of them all. Right now it is one of if not the darkest. I think everything else about the photo is awesome! Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't come anywhere near the quality of work the others critiquing your work do.

    Jayson
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I'd have to agree with Jayson about the shadows on the faces. The shadows on mom and dad's faces aren't too bad, as they give definition to their faces. But the kid's face is dark, and she should be the main focus of the image because of her placement in the scene and her importance in tying the family together. I feel like a gridded flash right on her would have been ideal, but probably not feasible given the movement of the subjects.
    I have to agree with you both. It was a struggle, for sure. Eventually I had them stagger a little bit in an effort to keep the kiddo from being hidden from the lights. Only problem is the angle hid the mother's face from view. Here is what would have been the best shot of them all: I like the body positions better, seems to imply motion more, the lighting is great, Dad's expression is better, and I'm happy with the composition. Just that hair...



    I finally threw in the towel and took mom's face from the other shot and composited it onto the one above. Here's the result:



    So now this looks to be the result that's more technically sound, but I've been looking at these pics for so long I don't know what to think. Which of the three do you guys prefer? Why?

    Thanks so much for the feedback. Appreciated it on this one! I was staring at them for so long I lost perspective.

    -Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 11-03-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

  8. #58
    Administrator Sean Setters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,341
    The last one, without a doubt. Significantly better, in my opinion.

  9. #59
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The last one, without a doubt. Significantly better, in my opinion.
    Agreed.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Agreed.
    Thanks guys! Glad I'm not completely losing my mind.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •