Thread: Reflections & Punctuation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fists of Inferno

Hey guys!

Have one I wanted to share, pretty proud of it. I actually had time to do a family photo... for me! Feels great to work on a personal project like that.

My girlfriend's son absolutely hates having his picture taken (something we both share), and especially hates the classic, pleasant, smiling portrait. He had asked if we could do something like a scene from an action movie instead. I of course enthusiastically agreed. The idea of us casually walking away from an explosion eventually turned into this:

Loved the idea of a movie poster and there was no turning away once the germ of that idea took hold. In fact, we're ordering a few 24"x40" prints on poster paper to make it as authentic as possible. We came up with the name from a hilarious action movie name generator we found online. We're currently planning our sequel "Fists of Inferno 2: Instant Justice". Kills me.

The lighting setup was a pretty simple cross-light setup using both of my Einsteins, a 64" PLM and a large softbox. The lights were triggered with the PocketWizard Flex tt5 and an AC3 Zone Controller and the Einsteins had a PW Power MC2 on each. Shot with the Canon 7d and the 100mm 2.8L Macro IS. Here's a simple diagram:

The umbrella was slightly forward of each of us and angled slightly towards our faces. Worth noting is that the photo of me was flipped horizontally in the interest of symmetry. (the stud with the beard and glasses)

The actual photo shoot took maybe 45 minutes with setup and tear-down. The hard part on this one was the editing. Took just about 11 hours in all. The ground we're on is a section of concrete from a sidewalk, the clouds come from a file folder I have been slowly adding to anytime I see dramatic or different clouds, for future use. The two city skylines, Panama City and Big Ben, were just found in a Google image search.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

-Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 01-27-2015 at 03:14 AM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers