Thread: Zeiss Vignetting

Zeiss Vignetting

I've only had the Zeiss Planar for a few months now, but have taken quite a few shots I really like with it. I've noticed the shots I really like are typically at f/2.8 or wider. The lens is plenty sharp when stopped down farther and still has the great rendering.

I've looked at some of the shots to compare and the element I think I like so much at f/2.8 and wider is the vignetting (in addition to thin depth of field). It gives presence to image's subject. Most reviews look at the vignetting as being a weakness.

What do you think? Does anyone else appreciate the vignetting within a couple stops of wide open?

Dave

Zeiss Vignetting

Is Zeiss vignetting superior to Canon vignetting?

Vignetting is easy to correct in post, but the 'cost' is some extra noise at the edges where the exposure is pushed. OTOH, if you like the effect it's also easy to add in post, with no 'cost' (and I sometimes do). So on the whole, I'd prefer less vignetting - but it's not such a big deal either way.

Zeiss Vignetting

+1

I often add vignetting when my subject is well centered. I tend to not like too much, usually between -10 and -25 in LR4.

I find my Canon vignetting a little easier to achieve with AF. My Zeiss vignetting appears more thoughtful and less frequent.
    On a slightly more serious note I've definitely added more vignetting than I have removed.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Hmmm??? ... The answer may actually be yes;
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...53&FLI=0&API=1

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post

Vignetting is easy to correct in post, but the 'cost' is some extra noise at the edges where the exposure is pushed. OTOH, if you like the effect it's also easy to add in post, with no 'cost' (and I sometimes do). So on the whole, I'd prefer less vignetting - but it's not such a big deal either way.
    I wouldn't say superior, and this is certainly subjective, but what I find is that the systems in general render differently. For whatever reason, the Zeiss rending style plus some vignetting seems to give images some pop in certain circumstances.

I'd agree that vignetting on a landscape is not ideal, but for subject isolation images it may work more than it doesn't.

Dave