Thread: Battery Pack and Autofocus

Battery Pack and Autofocus

I read in one of the posts that the 1Dx will achieve a quicker autofocus time than the 5DIII because of the extra battery power.
    This discussion I believe was in relation to the 85 1.2 which is known to autofocus slowly.

Question:

Will adding a battery grip to a 5DIII have an affect on the autofocus speed.
    I realize that this is largely lens dependent but the idea of the extra power does beg the question.

Thank you.

Re: Battery Pack and Autofocus

I wouldn't think it so, but am not sure. Battery grips are more like gas tanks. It doesn't improve performance of a vehicle, just makes it go further down the the road. A 1dx has bigger pipes built in it compared to the others and allows it to gets more juice in to help move things around. That's my take on it anyway.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I too have read that the bigger lenses do AF a little quicker on the 1 series bodies because of more battery power. The reported reason is that the motor can move the big glass elements faster with more battery power. I think the 1DX and 1DMKIV batteries may actually have more current output in terms of mA not necessarily voltage. I am not certain but it seems that is what I have read. AF speed depends on many variables so it might be tough to tell the difference in a typical situation in the field.

For those curious from someone with to much equipment and time on his hands. With the 500mm f/4L shooting in single shot mode and single point, the 1D IV is significantly faster than the 7D and the 5D II is just a bit faster than the 7D.

While I do not have either the 5D III or the 85mm to test, I would speculate that a battery pack would make it a bit faster, never as fast as the 1D X. But battery power is not the only thing that the 1D X will have over the 5D III. I think processing power, firmware and possibly other factors will come in to play as well.

I am sure a battery pack wouldn't make it any slower.