Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking to revamp my kit before the year is up, how's this end result look?

Looking to upgrade my 650D myself since I need way better low light performance and I would like better IQ.

I am looking to buy the 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L II combined with the 5D3. I don't understand the principle of the converters though. Maybe someone can help me out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    3. 70-200 f/2.8L II.....the version 3 converters (1.4X and 2.0X) work well here to get you 320mm and 400mm focal length respectively
    Wouldn't buying the 2.0x, cover the whole range though? Meaning, is there a need to buy the 1.4x as well? The 2.0x combined with the 70-200 would give me a focal length of 140-400 if I'm thinking correctly?

If I would keep the 650D, which has a crop factor of 1.6, would my focal length be 1.6 x 140-400 = 224-640? Do the converters even work on crop DSLRs?

Cheers!
    Marco

The 1.4x converter loses a bit of quality, and a stop of light (ie: f/4)
    The 2.0x converter loses more quality, and two stops of light (ie: f/5.6)
    I'm not sure if the 2.0x focuses slower than the 1.4x, or if it's a flat penalty for having a converter attached.

So a 1.4x gets you a decently sharp 98-280mm f/4 lens, while the 2.0x gets you an okay 140-400mm f/5.6 lens. If you're investing so much in glass, it seems a bit silly to throw away all the potential quality by getting just the 2.0x. If you're expecting to need that reach on a regular basis, you're better off with a dedicated lens. The converters are good for the 'once in a while, I wish I had more reach' crowd.

edit: They should work with a crop, but you'll see the image quality decrease much more clearly.

I agree with David but I will add that in good light the version III 2X converter on the new 70-200mm f/2.8L lens will surprise you. You can get superb results with this combination under the right circumstances....NOT all the time however and it does slow AF slightly. It does not work very well in poor light or low contrast situations. The 1.4 TC is much more forgiving in marginal light, degrades IQ much less and does not slow AF much at all.

I was pointing out that you can get a kit with a range of 17mm to 600mm with 4 lenses and the teleconverters. Having both the 1.4 and 2.0X just adds versatility but will certainly not be as good as lenses in those specific focal lengths without TC's as David said. IQ is usually better using the 1.4 TC than it will with the 2.0 TC but there are times when the 2.0 TC is the right tool and will do the job very well.

I should also mention that you will benefit by spending some time adjusting AF microadjustment for each of your lenses with and without the converters. This definitely will improve performance.

When on travel, there is always an issue what to bring. Historically I have carried too much, to make sure I have the best optical performance for whatever situation I end up in. In most cases I end up using the same 2-3 lenses. Currently, because I´m older and feel the weight probably, my minimum be-ready-for-as-much-as-possible-kit is the 5DIII (I also use the 1DX, but often it stays home due to its weight), 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 2xIII. If I add one more it is a fast prime, either the 85 f1.2L II or the Sigma 35 f1.4 (I sold the 50 1.2L). The 16-35 f2.8L II is a great lens, which I also throw in every now and then, but I rarely use it. You will get some quality loss with the extenders, but in normal to good light the result is still outstanding. But if long reach is what you want, live on bread and water for a while and save up for one of the quality super-tele alternatives. The second hand market for version I of the 300/400/500/600L lenses is not out of reach if you really want it.

My advice though is to prioritize and start with the lens that is most important and buy the best (in my case the 24-70 f2.8L II). Learn to master that while saving up for no.2 (in my case the 70-200 f2.8L IS II) and so on.

/Eldar

As an example: I shot this about 10 minutes ago, it's getting a little shady in the back yard so the ISO is high but you can get an idea about the 70-200 with the 2X TC. Might not be as good as a bare 400mm f/5.6 lens but it's pretty good.

1D MKIV
    70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM + 2.0 TC III @ 400mm
    tripod + wimberly gimbal head
    ISO 3200
    f5.6
    1/200
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-02-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks for all the information!

Great shot Joel! Looking at that picture the 2.0 TC is a very good option.

Cheers

Extenders technically slow the AF 50% for the 1.4 and 75% (Or 100%, can't rember for sure.) for the 2X. But like the others pointed out the AF is reasonably fast even with extenders and unless you really stress it out (sports close by you coming back and forth, BIF, racing, ect.) it should be quite useable.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

why spend money on a grip? do you use the second shutter button that much?
    the battery in the 5d mkIII is pretty solid. I generally have one spare battery somewhere in a pocket but most of the time I can go through a day of intense shooting without needing it.

>70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM + 2.0 TC III @ 400mm
    I use this setup on my 5d mkIII as well and it's quite delightful. disagree about the AF being too slow, I just set the focus distance to 2.5m to infinity on servo and most of the time I'm fine.

for landscape work I have forsaken the 16-35 in favor of the TS-E 17mm. the 24-105 is missing the macro function of the 24-70 but otherwise makes for an excellent walkaround lens. I thought I was going to be bothered more by having to work with f4 on two of my lenses but it turns out I'm not.
    Last edited by memostothefuture; 05-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by memostothefuture View Post
    why spend money on a grip? do you use the second shutter button that much?
    the battery in the 5d mkIII is pretty solid. I generally have one spare battery somewhere in a pocket but most of the time I can go through a day of intense shooting without needing it.
    Balance, and if your hands are large, somewhere for your pinky finger to rest. When using a heavy lens, I find the grip provides much better balance even if I don't use the second set of controls all that much. When the grip is is integrated, it's even more comfortable, IMO. Like you, the extra battery capacity is not needed.

Or if you are like me who shoots vertical as much as horizontal position the shutter button and other controls are very useful.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!