Thread: Effect of aspect ratio on image composition

Effect of aspect ratio on image composition

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-23-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The big followup for me is whether anyone knows of places to obtain custom focus screens that have lines on them for different aspect ratios?
    Two cameras ago I used BrightScreen. I sent my camera to them, they fitted a new screen with 8x10 crop lines and sent it back for $200.
    When I got my 5D I purchased a Canon 8x10 crop screen. I do not remember cost but it was more reasonable. When I got my 1D I did the lines myself using a lead pencil. I worked out great
    I tried my old link to BrightScreen but it failed. I wonder if they went out of business?
    There is another company I know of. I can send you their link tonight when I get home.
    Mark

The one place I knew to offer custom focus screens, KatzEye, doesn't appear to support full-frame cameras. They probably figured that the Canon screens have the majority of the market covered, and it's not worth investing the the few people who want something custom. Either that, or their screens don't meet the quality of pro users. No idea which. I've read glowing reviews, so I'd guess it's the former.

I crop 90% of my shots to 5:4 or 4:5 (ie: 8x10), so I can understand the desire to have crop line in the viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Interesting that a humble pencil might work out well. Would want to pay attention to the focus points though....
    It seems that my other link is also no good any more.
    I think the last time I used a very fine sharpie. On a full frame draw the lines ~1.35mm from center. Us a straight edge when drawing the lines. There is no issue with focus points. If you did not get it right just clean off with glass cleaner and try again. It does not have to be perfect.

IMG_0216 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

With regards to Brightscreens, I think this holds your answer, unfortunately.
    Personally, i've got a KatzEye on my 7D with the 8x10 lines, but if they don't do FF then that won't help.

I can't verify right now because i don't have a camera handy, but can't you set the screen to auto-crop or display lines when in Live-View?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos