Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: canon 1D MK2

Stirring up an old topic (I'm bored this afternoon...). APS-H means you can't go as wide as full-frame or APS-C (at least within the Canon lens lineup). This was a long, slow, hard lesson to learn for me with a 1D3. The math sometimes eludes people, but APS-C has the EF-S 10-22, which is the same as 16-35 on a full frame. Full frame of course has the 16-35, and it has the 14/2.8. But the widest you can get is the 14 on a 1.3x sensor, so 18.2mm effective. As a result, FF goes widest (14mm), APS-C is next-best (EF-S 10-22 is 16mm effective), APS-H is worst at 18mm effective.

Plus, if you peruse the LensRentals blog, you'll see Roger make a rather insightful comment: he sees digital cameras as a two-year supply of film, purchased "up front". After two years, the new models are just that much better that in his eyes, it's time for an upgrade. I find this to be true, or at least I find that I get the "new camera itch" about every two years (which usually means it's a third year before I save up to make the purchase).

Come to your local drug store and buy yourself an anti itch cream, lots cheaper than a new camera

I'm itching for a 7D 2, and no amount of anti itch cream can help

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Come to your local drug store and buy yourself an anti itch cream, lots cheaper than a new camera

I have an itch for the new sensor (70d) on a new M body
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post

Nate....it's called the 5D Mark III. Try it and apply liberally. I think your itch will go away. My last test was shooting loons while kayaking. I'm still processing the shots, but the 5DIII definitely passed the test. I don't have the "reach" I had with the 7D, but the shots are better. I love my 7D and do not want to disparge it in any way. But it will be sold soon, I've already contacted Adorama. It has sat on my shelf since my trip to Costa Rica in March.

Another way to think about it, and I do...but when (IF) the 7DII comes out and IF it matches the 5DIII with some new magic sensor, you can sell/swap the 5DIII for the 7DII.

My first set of Loon shots are here. Also, I was intentionally switching back and forth between the 5DIII and 7D, both with the 100-400L, while shooting a Resplendent Quiztal in Costa Rica. If interested, I could dig up some of the shots to post for you. But I already am giving advice you didn't, fully, ask for .
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-23-2013 at 12:29 PM.

I'll wait until the 7D2 comes out, then I have two options to choose from. Nice portfolio Kayaker, great landscape shots