Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon 1D MK2

canon 1D MK2

Ive seen the above advertised 2nd hand, from a store in the UK.
    The little detail of the ad: Used Canon EOS 1DMKII Body

£399.00

Condition = Exc++ & Boxed.
    Actuations = 20,000.
    MegaPixels = 8.2
    Sensor Size= APS-C.
    Card Slot = Compact Flash & SD
    Im using a 350d at the moment, ive sold my 50D. So i have never shot full frame and with it being a step up and cheaper than new, it grabbed my attention, but i dont know a real lot about this model so was wondering if its value for money or should i leave alone.
    Just remembered i can look on here for a review, so will do that.
    Would like some opinions please

Many thanks
    I aint a pro

Quote Originally Posted by kingscurate View Post
    Ive seen the above advertised 2nd hand, from a store in the UK.
    The little detail of the ad: Used Canon EOS 1DMKII Body

£399.00

Actuations = 20,000.
    MegaPixels = 8.2
    Sensor Size= APS-C.
    Card Slot = Compact Flash & SD
    Im using a 350d at the moment, ive sold my 50D. So i have never shot full frame and with it being a step up and cheaper than new, it grabbed my attention, but i dont know a real lot about this model so was wondering if its value for money or should i leave alone.
    Just remembered i can look on here for a review, so will do that.
    Would like some opinions please

Many thanks
    Kingscurate,
    I purchased a used 1DmkIIn used with only 16,000 clicks on it. The only real difference with the n is the screen on the back is larger. I love this camera. It is not a full frame. It is half way between a full frame and your 50D. Because it is a larger sensor it does have better image quality than the 50D IMO. It does have less high ISO noise than the 50D. I have many examples on my Flicker with this camera as well as my 5D.
    Here is one I just shot with my 1D and 100f2. Cropped from a horizontal to a vertical.

IMG_0171_fp by clemmb60, on Flickr
    For the price I feel it is worth it. Look at some of my rodeo action shots on my Flicker. The auto focus is great.
    Mark

Re: canon 1D MK2

I think it's an "H" sensor and not "C". Prices have dropped on 1-series bodies now because of cheaper newer models. That's a plus if you're buying from the used market. Just don't get stuck with too old of equipment. There's a fine line somewhere where the price of accessories/batteries/repair of semi-newer items are cheaper than older ones. I don't think you'll have an issue though.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Thanks guys for your replies, very encouraging. What sort of age is this camera?
    Ive looked but not gaining any idea as to its age, or should i not be bothered
    Thanks
    I aint a pro

I bought a 1Ds mk II last year. Not sure how the age of the 1D and 1Ds compare, but I think mine was 8 years old. That would put it close to 9 now, which is quite significant in DSLR terms. It has limitations that go with the age. It only goes to ISO 1600, with ISO 3200 considered the 'H' mode. The control are horrendous. USB 1 transfer speeds (buy a CF reader!). Half the options can only be changed when connected to a PC via firewire with outdated and unsupported drivers and software. But the fullframe quality wins out. Mine is 16MP as opposed to the 1DmkII being 8MP, but it still manages less noise than my newer T1i or 7D.

If you want full frame on the very cheap, consider a used 5D mk I. Adorama and B&H both had used bodies last year for $500-$600. I'm sure the UK must have something similar.

The APS-H sensor in the 1DmkII will give you part of the benefits of full frame: wider view/less space needed indoors for the same lenses, less noise at higher ISOs, thinner DOF for same framing, etc. As a bonus (or downside, depending on your view), because it's not full frame, you won't get the vignetting as bad in the corners. You may need to consider more expensive wider fullframe lenses because you're not fullframe, and you can't use EF-S lenses.

Because it's a 1 series you should get a nice long battery life, more accurate AI-Servo, weather sealing, integrated grip, etc. You will NOT get a built-in pop-up flash.

LOL "You will NOT get a built-in pop-up flash. "
    Ive just had another look at the website and they have the following 2:
    Used Canon EOS 5D Body

£499.00

Condition = Exc+/EX++ & Boxed.
    Actuations = N/A.
    MegaPixels = 12.8
    Sensor Size= Full Frame.
    Card Slot = Compact Flash

Used Canon EOS 1DS Body

£499.00

Actuations = N/A
    MegaPixels = 11.1
    Sensor Size= Full Frame.
    Opinions most welcome
    I aint a pro

Re: canon 1D MK2

It's a rabbit hole. Best to stop looking while you're ahead I always find a good deal on an older model. Then I see one that is a version newer for a couple hundred more. The cycle continues until I get to "just a little more and I can get a 1DX". I'd start with what you think you would like in a body. Then read the reviews here on the site for that model as well as the next version to see what had changed if anything important to your needs. Higher iso (like 3200) is great for me, but maybe not necessarily for you, so an older model might be just the ticket. Software might help pull out details in those shots too if only 1600iso is available.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I haven't used the 1Ds mk I, or the original 5D, making it hard to say where to invest your money. Both of those are cheaper over here, making it less of a risk.

Canon recent dropped support for the 1DsmkII, so I imagine the 1Ds has no support either. If the shutter were to break tomorrow, you'd be out 500 quid, unless you found a repair shop that had old stock on hand.

I can see based on images that the 5D has a more normal control setup, and a more normal screen, so it will be easier to use.

I can't speak of it's image quality, though you can search the web and flickr easily enough. On Fred Miranda, people seem to think the 1Ds is more reponsive, while the 5D has the better images. And the original 1Ds battery is crap.

So, 5D?

Quote Originally Posted by kingscurate View Post
    LOL "You will NOT get a built-in pop-up flash. "
    Ive just had another look at the website and they have the following 2:
    Used Canon EOS 5D Body

£499.00

Condition = Exc+/EX++ & Boxed.
    Actuations = N/A.
    MegaPixels = 12.8
    Sensor Size= Full Frame.

Used Canon EOS 1DS Body

£499.00

Actuations = N/A
    MegaPixels = 11.1
    Sensor Size= Full Frame.
    Opinions most welcome
    Here you can find samples from both the 12.8 mgpix 5D and the 8 megpix 1D. Both of these were introduced on the market in Aug. 2005. Newer bodies have some better bell & whistles but the image quality of both are great. They are several versions old so they are legacy or obsolete but still great value for the $$'s on the used market.
    You can't go wrong if you purchase these but if your budget will allow newer bodies go that route. Remember, good glass is more important than the body.
    Mark

Thanks gents for the input. Like i said im using a 350d at the moment because i sold the 50D. I got tempted by those 2nd hand models simply as they aint much dearer than a 60d 2nd hand, actually i think the 60d is dearer.
    AND i forgot the rule of decent glass is more important. I would need a new/2nd hand lens to go with the body so all together that would force me into debt and i dont want to go that path.
    I think i shall go for anew lens, 28-135 sort of covers my current needs, and then when the times right look for another body.
    I aint a pro