Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about the 600ex-rt flash

@ Kayaker:
    Regarding small, not intrusive, travel capable lighting setup. I also implement a budget concern from my perspective.

This lighting setup could fit in a briefcase or backpack, the lightstands are very strong and short too, I have very heavy interfit stellar 300s with heavy 39” octobox on them, but I also use them for speedlights with umbrella.

For the simple portraits, I would be using a 7’ Matthews reversible lightweight stand, only 20” or so long when stored
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Stand_7.html

One of these brackets to hold the 600 speedlight or yongnuo triggers (unless using the flashpoint triggers I mention later as they have hardware built on)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=50067&is=REG

Plus an inexpensive $10 36” shoot through umbrella

I would be doing this with a 600 exrt and doubling the lighting with the same gear except second light is an $85 Vivitar 285HV flash. One could use two Vivitar flashes instead of a 600exrt. One should be sensible and not mount a beautifully designed high end Canon 600exrt on a yongnuo trigger...

For triggers I have 4 transceivers from Yongnuo ($65 for all 4 and also serves as a shutter release remote) I also have a second set of triggers designed completely different: flashpoint triggers, buy 1 kit and buy 1 extra receiver, this will trigger two flashes, they are hot shoe mount. These have ¼” and can be mounted very easily. Make sure the extra receiver is also 4 channel and not 16 channel, or vice versa, or it wont match.

http://www.adorama.com/FPRRS4RN.html

I bought my Yongnuo 603 C# triggers on Amazon

You could get a two moonlight kit for this much, it would be AC and require cords, the stands would be very long and would not fit in a backpack, etc. I think if you buy moonlights, they should be 500ws or more, otherwise just use speedlights/flash

Also, theres a manfrotto extention pole for about $50 that goes to 9 feet. You can put this on top of these 7’ Matthews stands to reach 16’, or as I plan to do, have someone hold it for on location shoots where the subject is moving about in different areas and it becomes a boom.

Obviously a couple of 600EXRT would be optimal, the yongnuo are not TTL and not high speed sync, but they are very inexpensive. I personally would prefer those bubble popper or whatever those other ones are, radio tronix something, the $100 ones if I used triggers. There are small softboxes but I think umbrellas are going to be great for what you suggest.

By the way, you should probably be giving me photo ideas, now the other way around. I suggest you have two Canon speedlights, get two stands, two brackets and two umbrellas. Maybe throw in the extension pole from manfrotto. Even if you have 1 600exrt and a 430ex or a 580ex I think it will be better than the vivitar.

I thought it might be helpful to show this with pictures. Also it's practice for me to break it down and set it up. It takes about 5 minutes each way. It doesnt really fit in the backback, 2" too long, but I don't use that anyway. It's juts to give an idea of if it is possible. Ive carried larger lightstands in that backpack, it just requires using a piece of wire to tie the zippers together so it doesnt gradually unzip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BL3A3245.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BL3A3246.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	1829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BL3A3247.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BL3A3248.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1831

Thanks UmiKaibutsu. I was trying to buy one to two refurbished 600 EX RT's yesterday. With the sale they were going for $380. They are currently out of stock, but when I do pull the trigger, that set up is definitely along the lines I have been thinking.

Thanks for the pictures.

>I shot at all sync speeds, up to 1/8000″ in High-Speed Sync

wait, what? 1/8000??? this is not a leaf shutter. how on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by memostothefuture View Post
    >I shot at all sync speeds, up to 1/8000″ in High-Speed Sync

wait, what? 1/8000??? this is not a leaf shutter. how on earth?
    High Speed Sync. HSS. http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...peed_sync.html

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    yes, I understand that. however, I used to think that the camera was the issue here — that the information from shutter to hotshoe to flash didn't travel fast enough to achieve a faster high-speed synch than 1/500ms. perhaps I'm mistaken and I will try this out now. because 1/1000 alone would be amazing for sports.

Question about the 600ex-rt flash

HSS works all the way to 1/8000 s.

Hi,

Maybe this ref for HSS is useful

http://neilvn.com/tangents/high-speed-flash-sync/

neilvn.com has so much info re on camera and off camera flash

regards, Neil