Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make colours more brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by albianir View Post
    Another one:
    I know that picture style affects raw in DPP. Is it correct?
    Yes and no. Info about the picture style is saved in the CR2 file and DPP can read that info to give you a default RAW conversion setting similar/equal to the one used in-camera (for the JPEG-preview). But it doesn't affect the binary image information captured by the sensor - you can easily switch between picture styles in DPP and get the exact same results as if another picture style was chosen in-camera.

One important thing about a possible effect on your RAW files has already been mentioned by Neuro: If you want some histogram assistance for exposing as bright as possible without blowing highlights ("exposure to the right") you should avoid some things. I've found that if I choose picture style faithful and turn off both ALO anf lens correction, I get a better indication in the histogram for when I'm really approaching the right side. More contrasty picture styles, ALO and lens correction all tend to brighten the JPEG-previews. And for some scenes this can make a real difference for the final result. (Of course, another way of achieving basically the same could be to accept a fair amount of highlight blinking in the JPEG-preview. When those files are "blanked" in DPP, Lightroom etc they will be noticeably darker and with less/no blown highlights.)

you can do almost anything in Photoshop but it can take a long time to learn what to do since it does not come with a manual and you have to scour the web for tutorials. Boosting saturation increases the intensity of all colours - boosting vibrance only boosts the colours that are not already over-cooked.

Two excellent Photoshop plugin sites: Nik and Topaz have bundles that do photoshop stuff much more easily and both have dozens of really great webinar tutorials. Photoshop Plugins like Viveza can transform colours in a picture so quickly and in so many different ways

R: How to make colours more brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by MontyMoonBeam View Post
    you can do almost anything in Photoshop but it can take a long time to learn what to do since it does not come with a manual and you have to scour the web for tutorials. Boosting saturation increases the intensity of all colours - boosting vibrance only boosts the colours that are not already over-cooked.

Two excellent Photoshop plugin sites: Nik and Topaz have bundles that do photoshop stuff much more easily and both have dozens of really great webinar tutorials. Photoshop Plugins like Viveza can transform colours in a picture so quickly and in so many different ways
    :thumbup:

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 con Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I agree
    I make changes usually in this order: WHITE BALANCE, CURVES, CONTRAST
    Saturation and Vibrance colors are usually last.

Thank you
    I agree, however, first work on proper exposure for what you are capturing. Not to imply you are not, just the importance of it. Then the adjustments in post are enhancements, not correction.
    Mark

Use a lens hood always, it can help you capture the colors in camera and avoid wash out. Also avoid using high ISO settings, use the lowest you can get away with.

I agree with the others that boosting contrast in post should happen before you boost vibrancy or saturation.
    Use positive exposure compensation if your subject is at all backlit and maybe even use 1/3 stop of positive EC in normal situations. Boosting underexposure in post washes out the images but lowering exposure a little does not.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

R: How to make colours more brilliant

Sure I know that better exposition is the best think for great photo but you know that enhancement in post production is essential for brilliantly colors.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 con Tapatalk 2