Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make colours more brilliant

How to make colours more brilliant

Sometimes the colours is flatten. Which tecnique is more efficient to brilliant colours?
    Thanks

Alberto

Inviato dal mio HTC One S con Tapatalk 2

If I adjust my colors, it is in post. I use Lightroom 4. I tend to increase vibrance and color saturation. At times, I adjust specific color channels, but that is an uncommon event.

You can also do this in camera by adjusting your picture style. As a question for everyone else, I've always assumed that picture style only impacts Jpegs and not RAW files, is that true?

Re: How to make colours more brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    If I adjust my colors, it is in post. I use Lightroom 4. I tend to increase vibrance and color saturation. At times, I adjust specific color channels, but that is an uncommon event.
    Ditto. Thinking about the word "brilliant" makes me think it's the vibrance slider you're after. Even in Photoshop.

If you're using a tool that isn't one of Adobe's offerings, I'm no help to you.

As a question for everyone else, I've always assumed that picture style only impacts Jpegs and not RAW files, is that true?
    Picture style most definitely affects raw. Of course, you have more digital info to bail yourself out with. Personally, my camera stays on the "faithful" mode.
    Last edited by Rocco; 04-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

How to make colours more brilliant

I usually use vibrance, which tends to produce a more 'natural' result than saturation.

As a question for everyone else, I've always assumed that picture style only impacts Jpegs and not RAW files, is that true?
    True, at least directly. However, every RAW image is converted to JPG in-camera (that JPG is embedded in the RAW container as a preview image). Picture Style (and other settings like ALO, etc.) are applied to it. Importantly, that JPG is what you see on the LCD review, and it's used to generate the histogram. So, To the extent that you make exposure decisions based on the histogram or the blinkies, picture style can indirectly affect the RAW file.

Before I use Vibrancy, I adjust Levels or Curves if necessary. That makes pictures a bit more contrasty, and already brings out colors more. Vibrancy comes last.
    Arnt

I agree
    I make changes usually in this order: WHITE BALANCE, CURVES, CONTRAST
    Saturation and Vibrance colors are usually last.

Thank you

If you use Photoshop, there are some awesome actions available that produce beautiful results! The best ones are the ones that have each adjustment as a separate layer. That way you can tweak them to your liking (with either opacity adjustments or layer masks) and everything is completely non-destructive to your original photo. Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Picture styles applies the style settings to in-camera JPEG conversion. For RAW, the picture style data is in the EXIF data so that the post processing software can apply the style setting used when the file is opened. Not all third party editing software applies the settings when opening RAW images.

@Alberto - Some more information might help with the quality of answers received. Do you shoot in RAW of JPEG? Adobe RGB or sRGB set in camera? What software are you using? What picture style setting are you using on your camera?

In general, Adobe RGB has a broader gamut than sRGB. RAW offers more editing latitude. Is your monitor even capable of reproducing the colours that you aren't seeing? Is it calibrated and are you checking to see if the colours of your pictures are out of gamut?

Edit: are the shots with flat colours low light or high noon shots, both of which tend to desaturate colours.

Adobe RGB and RAW ever

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    If you use Photoshop, there are some awesome actions available that produce beautiful results! The best ones are the ones that have each adjustment as a separate layer. That way you can tweak them to your liking (with either opacity adjustments or layer masks) and everything is completely non-destructive to your original photo. Love them!
    I try tonight

Another one:
    I know that picture style affects raw in DPP. Is it correct?