Thread: Pros, Cons on picking a 6D over a 5D MkIII?

Pros, Cons on picking a 6D over a 5D MkIII?

Nevermind, just realized the 6D only has 11 AF points, I'll wait for the 5D MkIII. How do I delete this post?
    Last edited by DavidWare; 05-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Re: Pros, Cons on picking a 6D over a 5D MkIII?

I think you have to cuss or something to get this deleted. Maybe Nikon Rules will do it
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I think you have to cuss or something to get this deleted. Maybe Nikon Rules will do it
    Na, that won't work, technically we're a Nikon forum too.

Although, this is the digital picture. We could all start talking about film. I just picked up a Super Angulon 90mm f/8, but it's got a Compur Electric shutter. Can I just unscrew the elements and place it in a regular Copal #1 shutter?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I hate digital! Ah, that should do it.... LOL

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

David,

It depends on what you are going to shoot. While the 6D only has 11 AF points, and only 1 point is cross-type, that single point is sensitive down to EV -3, a full stop better than the 5DIII. So, for that singular feature, the 6D actually has better AF than the 5dIII. Of course, this will help those that want to use center point only in low light. And, to my knowledge, the 5DIII's AF is better in every other way...well, except cost .

I know CR, rightfully so, gets a bit of a bad rap, but I do continue to check it as there are occasionally some good threads and has a few knowledgeable posters (intermingled with several people that like to argue...a lot). You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind...?topic=12847.0
    http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/...er-a-5d-mkiii/

While I think Dustin Abbott knows how to make an argument and he brings up several very good points of why he chose the 6D, I can absolutely see choosing the 5DIII over the 6D. I did. But I think both are good cameras worthy of consideration. If you end up considering the 6D, revive this thread a bit and I am sure you could get a discussion going.

But, to me, Bryan summed it up well at the end of his 6D review:
    On a personal level: At review time, I am fortunate to be shooting with a kit that includes a pair of Canon EOS 5D Mark III bodies and a Canon EOS 1D X body. I have not found any 6D features compelling enough to give up the higher-featured bodies I'm shooting with now.
    But, I could be very satisfied with the Canon EOS 6D for most of my photography needs. The 6D's size and weight are going to convince some otherwise. The 6D is a well-built, competent, professional-grade DSLR that delivers very impressive image quality at a low price point in a small body size. It is an ideal choice for travel, portrait and landscape photography.

And, I would think it may be very good for low-light concert venues.

Thanks,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 05-10-2013 at 08:20 PM.

It is still always good to hear everyone's points of view as I see myself making this choice later this year. For me it is between the auto focus (5DIII probably has more than I need, but I wish 6D had more) and on the other side Price. If I don't need the extra features, that money can be used elsewhere. The hard part sometimes is weighing that against what I shoot now as well as what I might be doing in a year or 2 as I grow.

Eric

There are a few things that the 6D has over the it but overall the 5D III is a better camera. If you have the money the 5D III is the way to go (excluding the 1DX of course).

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!