Thread: One for the birds, or you bird photogs

One for the birds, or you bird photogs

A friend sent me this link, definitely had some birds that don't land in my back yard.
    Worth the 5 minute time investment, if you haven't already seen it.
    HTTPS://www.youtube.com/embed/REP4S0uqEOc

Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

It makes you just want to quit your job, sell your house, collect all your gear and go

building the cash cushion to something like that for a couple of weeks somewhere on the globe - I know it took them a lot more than a couple of weeks. I figure when this current gig is over in NYC to take a month or two and do something like this.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I have seen the TV documentary. They were sponsored by NatGeo.

That was incredibly hard work in miserable conditions but ... spectacular results which will probably never be duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    building the cash cushion to something like that for a couple of weeks somewhere on the globe - I know it took them a lot more than a couple of weeks. I figure when this current gig is over in NYC to take a month or two and do something like this.
    That would be some trip.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I have seen the TV documentary. They were sponsored by NatGeo.

That was incredibly hard work in miserable conditions but ... spectacular results which will probably never be duplicated.
    Agreed, I wouldn't wanting to replicate the anything near documentary type effort - that takes months and months. The operative word is "like" as in a poor facsimile.

Rather, a trip that relives some of the elements of such an effort - be it some s.e. asian trek or perhaps something more tame inside the U.S. or Australia...while the birds of the everglades don't have the luminosity of the BoP there are some wonderful images to be had, Australia has its own colorful and some a bit rare parrots, etc. Or the canyon lands of Utah/Arizona are truly world class and simply can't be done in a weekend.

I will have the time and some of the resources, the soles of the feet are getting a bit itchy.

enough of the thread hijacking
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't wanting to replicate the anything near documentary type effort - that takes months and months. The operative word is "like" as in a poor facsimile.

Rather, a trip that relives some of the elements of such an effort - be it some s.e. asian trek or perhaps something more tame inside the U.S. or Australia...while the birds of the everglades don't have the luminosity of the BoP there are some wonderful images to be had, Australia has its own colorful and some a bit rare parrots, etc. Or the canyon lands of Utah/Arizona are truly world class and simply can't be done in a weekend.

I will have the time and some of the resources, the soles of the feet are getting a bit itchy.

enough of the thread hijacking
    sounds like fun to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    A friend sent me this link, definitely had some birds that don't land in my back yard.
    Worth the 5 minute time investment, if you haven't already seen it.
    HTTPS://www.youtube.com/embed/REP4S0uqEOc

Cheers,
    Steve
    Having been on a 10 day trip to PNG I can tell you its not as difficult to see some of these birds as they state in the video.

If I was one percent of the photographer as Joel I would have had some great shots. Where I was in the central highlands the food and accommodation was excellent.

Get up at 5am walk up the mountain for 30 minutes in light drizzle with a local guide and you have 5 different types of Birds of Paradise flying in the canopy.

Just do it, you won't regret it.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss