View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ethereal Corpse

0 0%
  • Light Reading

6 54.55%
  • Knife under Running Water

4 36.36%
  • Grater on Fire

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #51 - Household Items

#51 - Household Items

On behalf of Nick (nvitalephotography) this is assignment 51: Household Items

A lot of photos are judged based on subject matter alone, not the techniques and skills required to capture the scene to its fullest potential. So for this assignment I want to switch it up. Your subject should just be a common household object, focus on the composition, lighting, DOF, etc. to make a winning shot instead of a winning subject. Now people with access to amazing landscapes or rare wildlife don't have an advantage due to better subjects. Get creative.

The following photos have been selected as finalists:

Name: Bgood
    Motivation: While not technically a photo of an item. It captures the idea of the assignment perfectly. Using a common item to create something so unique. Awesome

Name: Bgood
    Motivation: The lighting and pattern the books create is perfect, making a boring subject really stand out..

Name: Andrew Stringer
    Motivation: This looks like it could be an advertisement for a high-end knife. A product shot that is actually unique.

Name: CLS
    Motivation: Looks so simple, but something about it just keeps me looking at it again and again.

The poll will be opened for 3 days. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Sheiky; 07-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

I like this idea and the reasoning behind it. I don't know yet what I'll try to shoot, but I like it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    I like this idea and the reasoning behind it. I don't know yet what I'll try to shoot, but I like it :-)
    I was thinking the same exact thing, I'm going to have to take something new rather than rely on old stuff.

While I'm still trying to decide what new things to shoot for this assignment, here's one from a few months ago. While not technically a household item, it was shot in my garage with an incense stick. It's a composite image of several shots of the smoke from the stick.

Ethereal Corpse by B_R_T, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bgood View Post
    While I'm still trying to decide what new things to shoot for this assignment, here's one from a few months ago. While not technically a household item, it was shot in my garage with an incense stick. It's a composite image of several shots of the smoke from the stick.

Ethereal Corpse by B_R_T, on Flickr
    Cool
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Cool
    Very cool!
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Are you sure it wasn't shot with Canons new X ray lens?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Amazing! A smoke terminator!

Thanks. It was fun to spend a bit of time putting it together. For the record, it was the super new Canon 50mm f/1.4 XRL lens, coming soon to airports near you.

Well, bgood, the Ethereal Corpse is easily the best entry so far. (It seems you've scared away the competition!)