Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review Ratings on TDP

Raid, you move to a 5.5 star rating system. That's the lazy nerd's way of doing it. That way you just need to evaluate the 5 stars and see whether you think they're a strong enough 5 to deserve to move up to 5.5 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    I regard this as the best Photography site. Its not inhabited by trolls, the users are always willing to provide constructive criticism. The technical help on this site is second to none, although I miss having Daniel's input. When it comes to tests, wherever possible it uses objective rather than subjective testing (Tools menu).

I once posted a link to this site on DPR showing the flare on a lens that was not reported in their tests, my post was deleted as Flaming! I think there are sites that find what you have created as intimidating, you should take that as a complement.

Being a nerd I always find the idea of stars strange. If you give the EF 70-200L f2.8 IS II 5 stars, what do you give the next version? The next version of this lens will be better so do you move all the old lines down 1/2 a star?

Unfortunately I have no answers.
    I think everything is relative. If a newer lens comes out, and it's an improvement, then that particular "5 star lens" might get downgraded a half of a star because it's no longer the best in its class. However, if the new lens is significantly more expensive (as well as improved), then they both might be considered 5 star lenses - one because it's the best in its class, and the other because it's a great value for what you get (at least on the used market).

Just thoughts.

Good point Sean, I think that would make sense. Since I don't care too much about the ratings, I'm fine with whatever works best for the TDP team, and helps generate traffic to the site :-)

Bryan, thanks for sharing the details - and thanks to the entire TDP team for this website!
    Arnt