Thread: New Lightroom User copy as CR2 or DNG?

New Lightroom User copy as CR2 or DNG?

I've primarily been shooting JPGs, but am wanting some additional latitude in post processing options. I used Lightroom 4 on a 30-day trial, liked the results on the CR2 images that I had, and decided to buy it.

Now that I'm getting ready to start using it I need to decide if I want to import CR2 or DNG files into Lightroom.

Any recommendations from the forum users? I did some reading on the subject and it appears I'd be well-served to import DNG files into Lightroom instead of CR2.

Thanks for helping.
    Dave

Re: New Lightroom User copy as CR2 or DNG?

[SLR]lounge had a YouTube video on RAW vs DNG. Size is one issue if space is limited. Storing info for a multi platform solution is another. I tend to use adobe's stuff, so it's not a biggie.
    There will always be ways to convert cr2 files when the time comes if you're worried about opening them up years from now.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Re: New Lightroom User copy as CR2 or DNG?

I forgot to tell ya, if you're like me and have a bunch of crappy shots before hitting your focus, you might convert to DNG after you go through and delete the junk stuff (saves time). You might have also lucked out because LR5 is about to be released and it's possible you will get a free update (unless they stick to their guns and do cloud stuff only forever and ever.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Thanks guys.

Some of what I read said one main reason to go DNG is make file management easier since CR2 requires secondary files for what the edits are.

Dave

I would recommend reading martin evenings lightroom book. that will solve any issues you have and also discusses the pro and cons of most subjects esp dng or raw
    I aint a pro