Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 5 is out

Lightroom 5 is out

Just a heads up - lightroom 5 has been released by Adobe.

I like the look of both the upright tool and the radial gradients. Hopefully VSCO gets on board quickly so I can continue using their film presets.

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I'm pretty sure we mentioned that in the news feed.... ;-)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=7068

But seriously, it looks interesting. Considering how much you can do with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom these days, it takes a bit of the sting out of making Photoshop a CC product.

Ah, missed that. Still not sold on the CC idea but it does help with the cost.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Whats LightRoom about? Why is it necessary if you already had Bridge and Photoshop along with the Canon EOS Utility? I did try it, but it seemed designed in a counter-intuitive manner and not like an Adobe product. I dont understand what its purpose is.

Oh Lightroom is the only software I use... love it! If you take a few seconds to add keywords to your photos when you import them, then the program becomes an amazingly efficient searchable database. I just did the upgrade to LR5, and tried out the clone brush tool. It definitely makes it easier to get rid of oddly-shaped distractions, like a twig. I've resisted getting the full-blown Photoshop, and this upgrade is yet another reason why I don't need it.

I haven't really dove into the differences between LR4 and LR5 and don't know about upgrading at this point in time. I was wondering if those of you who have jumped to the next version notice a whole lot of difference? If so, please fill us in. Upgrading is only $79 so it isn't a huge investment, but wanted to save the money if the differences weren't that big.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I haven't really dove into the differences between LR4 and LR5 and don't know about upgrading at this point in time. I was wondering if those of you who have jumped to the next version notice a whole lot of difference? If so, please fill us in. Upgrading is only $79 so it isn't a huge investment, but wanted to save the money if the differences weren't that big.

Thanks!
    I'm also considering upgrading but will likely wait a bit. New software comes with bugs and one of the more significant bugs in LR5 that I heard of is that the output sharpening doesn't work for web-sized images. I'll definitely let them fix at least that one before I upgrade.

For me the new version doesn't include any must-have features. However I've understood LR5 is slightly faster than LR4 which would be appreciated. There are some new tools and among these I'll likely use both the radial gradient and the improved perspective correction. But I've done just fine without them until now and I can wait a bit longer.

Re: Lightroom 5 is out

I usually skip every other version at least. With this being possibly the last one I can get without cloud surfing, it's timing seems right for what I need/wanted in an upgrade.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi Everyone....I currently use LR4. Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to LR5 and what they think? While it isn't much, I still haven't learned all the features of LR4....so I am not sure I am ready to upgrade but am thinking about it. Thanks!

Re: Lightroom 5 is out

I'd skip. I went from LR3 to 5. I don't need maps, books, or Web junk. Mainly it was because of the healing tool, easier upright fixes (not perfect yet), and my export files were corrupting pretty regular. It's also the last version program I'll own outright (no Internet connection). Speed was also supposed to be better. I still hate scrolling of the the side bars and how the cropping works, but that's mainly me. I can't confirm how plugins work. I believe the popular ones are fine, but if you use plugins, you might not need the updates anyway.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.