Thread: New "Camera Specifications Tool"

New "Camera Specifications Tool"

Thanks Bryan for the addition of the "Camera Specifications Tool". It is very useful. Comparing the 1DX and the 5D III, I found a couple of differences that surprised me.
    - 1DX does not have the electronic level in live view (the 5D III does), which I use a fare amount on my 7D.
    - 1DX has a built in shutter for the eye piece (the 5D III does not). I have a tendency to set up and compose a shot on the tripod, and then I do not look through the view finder any more... I just look at the back panel to look at exposure readings and setting because I am usually shooting when the light is changing rapidly. In shooting this way, my eye does not block the view finder and I find the exposure reading changes by about a stop and a half to 2 stops from the light entering the eye piece. I keep loosing the little black rubber eye piece cover so I have to hold my thumb over the eye piece to expose properly. So I would find this feature useful.

Without the side by side comparisons, I would have missed these. I still have to figure out what I want to do for my next camera.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...fications.aspx
    Last edited by conropl; 06-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Great tool - thanks for developing it, Bryan and team! (and thanks for pointing it out, Pat)

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    - 1DX does not have the electronic level in live view (the 5D III does), which I use a fare amount on my 7D.
    This is an omission from the TDP tool - the 1D X can show the electronic level in Live View as you toggle through with the Info button.

- 1DX has a built in shutter for the eye piece (the 5D III does not). I have a tendency to set up and compose a shot on the tripod, and then I do not look through the view finder any more... I just look at the back panel to look at exposure readings and setting because I am usually shooting when the light is changing rapidly. In shooting this way, my eye does not block the view finder and I find the exposure reading changes by about a stop and a half to 2 stops from the light entering the eye piece. I keep loosing the little black rubber eye piece cover so I have to hold my thumb over the eye piece to expose properly. So I would find this feature useful.
    Yes, one of the nice little features of 1-series bodies is a built-in VF shutter (it's a little lever next to/behind the eyecup). Before getting the 1D X, I found that simply hanging the cap from whatever lens I wasusing over the eyecup worked well (as long as the camera wasn't pointed upwards).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Great tool - thanks for developing it, Bryan and team! (and thanks for pointing it out, Pat)
    It was in the "Canon News, Nikon News, and What's New" box on the home page.

This is an omission from the TDP tool - the 1D X can show the electronic level in Live View as you toggle through with the Info button.
    That is good to know... because it is handy for those of us that are off half a bubble.

Yes, one of the nice little features of 1-series bodies is a built-in VF shutter (it's a little lever next to/behind the eyecup). Before getting the 1D X, I found that simply hanging the cap from whatever lens I wasusing over the eyecup worked well (as long as the camera wasn't pointed upwards).
    Wind would be a problem, and I would think the cap would cover up the exposure setting view on the LCD. I use my hat for long exposures, but for metering I just put my thumb over it until I set the exposure and then let go. Exposure metering is fairly useless without covering the eye piece.

Thanks for the information.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Looking good.

A great addition would be crop from the ISO noise chart. I'd suggest using ISO 1600 so you can include some of the older cameras too.

Another thing that could be an interesting comparison, but is probably more work than it would be useful, would be a visual burst rate indicator. It could be approximated (better word than faked) using a single source video, and extracting the frames at the appropriate rate. The result could be shown either as the set of images that you'd capture over a second or two, or those images animated (like a slow animated gif).

- 1DX does not have the electronic level in live view (the 5D III does), which I use a fair amount on my 7D.
    Canon doesn't always stick to standardized information reporting (we got much of the info from Canon UK). If you look at the 1D X in the camera specifications tool, it looks like they listed it in the "LCD" category under "Display Options" but didn't list the feature specifically under "Live View."

I have added the electronic level feature to the "Live View" section to make it more clear (and standardized).