Thread: 7D vs......get this a 1D mkIII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mcarriganphotos,
    I too want to thank you for your service as well as welcome you to the forum.
    I agree with David's suggestions. I have the 5Dmk1 and the 1DmkIIn. I have never used a 7D but have played with image files from one. Comparing the 7D files to my 1DmkIIn they were better in terms of sharpness when cropping but when the 1D files do not have to be cropped much they were much better than the 7D in contrast, color, dynamic range and noise. With better frame rate and auto focus I choose the 1D over the 7D. My 5D has a slight edge in overall IQ over the 1D but I love the auto focus and build quality so I find myself reaching for my 1D more often. The first several shots on my photo stream are with my 1DmkIIn. I would expect the mkIII to be a bit better. You can also see some examples from my 5D. The 50 still makes a good portrait lens on the 1D. A bit wide to me for the 5D. My favorite portrait lens on either body is my 70-200 usually near 200.
    With all that said, a previous suggestion was to sharpen your skills with the body you have for now. When I first switched by business to digital it was with an 8 megpix rebel. I once had a portrait posted on a billboard from it and it looked great. I often printed 16x20s and 24x30. Do not be afraid of not having enough pix.
    Most here feel glass is more important so maybe you should work on your EF glass so you'll be ready when you do upgrade.
    Cheers
    Last edited by clemmb; 06-27-2013 at 02:34 AM.
    Mark