Thread: Proper Arca Clamp Size

Proper Arca Clamp Size

I was looking on Kirk Enterprises site at their Arca-Style clamps. The clamps come in 1-inch up to 4-inch sizes. What is the advantage or reason for having a clamp that is 4-inches? The only thing I can think of is if you are using an Arca plate on a lens foot, it will give you some room to balance your kit, but otherwise is there any reason? I’m considering a L-plate for my kit in the future so I want to get the proper sized clamp. I might somehow someday in the future own a 70-200, that’s about the biggest lens I could think of. (just in case, I do understand that the size reference is to the length of the clamp and not to the clamps jaw size, the jaw size is a standard no matter the over all plate length )

I use the 1" Kirk clamp to suspend camera/lens plates from my Blackrapid straps. The longer clamps just offer better balance, not more 'clamping strength'. For most applications (ballhead, gimbal), I'd take a Really Right Stuff lever release clamp over a Kirk screw clamp.

Thanks for the info, glad I was headed the right way. Also thanks for the recommendation on the Really Right Stuff, will have to look at those as well.

If I get a clamp and want to get a head to put it on, say a Manfrotto. Most of their heads have their own clamp but they do have a standard head with no clamp such as the one below. Is this what I need to look for if I'm going to use a clamp from another company to anther company's head. The Really Right Stuff says there clamps aren't threaded and come with a screw. The Kirk says they are 1/4" threaded so I would think it will attached directly to the Manfrotto head. (I haven't decided on a head, just using Manfrotto as an example)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manfrotto_MH057M0.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	1874

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=7236

Take a look at this... Manfrotto just anounced a head with a Arca Swiss style clamp.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post

Take a look at this... Manfrotto just anounced a head with a Arca Swiss style clamp.
    This is great news! I'd still consider the platform-only head with an RRS lever clamp...

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post

Pat
    Wow, that's sweet. I'm glad Manfrotto finally jumped on board. Over the years it seemed that Manfrotto had no desire to move to an Arca-Swiss type clamp, and furthermore, they made their heads harder to convert to Arca-Swiss clamp heads. I always tell people to get a used Manfrotto 489 RC4 for cheap, take the RC4 clamp off, and then add whatever clamp you wish (this is one head that Manfrotto makes that can be converted to pretty much any type of clamp). This is a good entry-level combination and I have had no problems over the years with this combination for any of my lenses/cameras. I just never saw the point in investing in Manfrotto plates, as they were worthless when upgrading to a nicer head, they are architecturally poor, incompatible with many additional accessories, and a pain in the a&$ when you are shooting with a friend who has Arca-Swiss clamps (i.e., trading gear back and forth was impossible).

I've never used the new series of ball heads from Manfrotto, but to be honest, for how much those new ball heads cost ($300) with the Arca-Swiss clamp, I would probably just get an Acratech GV2. I bought and built my Manfrotto 489 RC4 ball head into a Manfrotto 489 "Wimberley" for $140 (granted, the old 489 is not that easy to find anymore).
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    I've never used the new series of ball heads from Manfrotto, but to be honest, for how much those new ball heads cost ($300) with the Arca-Swiss clamp, I would probably just get an Acratech GV2. I bought and built my Manfrotto 489 RC4 ball head into a Manfrotto 489 "Wimberley" for $140 (granted, the old 489 is not that easy to find anymore).
    I didn't realize they were that expensive. I had a 468MG (hydrostatic ballhead) that was very good. But for the cost of that head plus a Wimberley C-12 clamp, it comes close to an RRS BH-40 and the latter is an excellent head.

That's funny it is announced the day I ask about it. You know, I don't think that Kirk's L-Plate will work. The L-Plate is "hollowed" or "skeletonized" to safe weight and access ports on the camera and I don't think it will contact the safety pin that Manfrotto has on it. Also dosen't look like the Q6 will be used on and Classic heads like the 498 series which is what I was really looking at.
    Last edited by mcarriganphotos; 06-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I didn't realize they were that expensive. I had a 468MG (hydrostatic ballhead) that was very good. But for the cost of that head plus a Wimberley C-12 clamp, it comes close to an RRS BH-40 and the latter is an excellent head.
    Yeah, I could only find the prices on the Manfrotto website. I'm sure they will be a little lower when B&H gets ahold of them. On the Manfrotto website, the lowest level ball head (054) with the Arca Swiss clamp is $278. The Arca Swiss clamp does not appear to be an option on the 057 (highest level ball head) and runs $306 for the 055. Unless these ball heads are significantly nicer than the previous Manfrotto heads, I'd be looking Acratech all the way. But then again, maybe they are awesome and well worth the investment. The Arca Swiss clamps will definitely have more people willing to fork out that kind of money. I'll wait for Bryan to tell me that these are comparable/better than other similarly priced heads before I fork out the dough, as I've been thinking about the Acratech GV2 for awhile.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Different cameras weigh different amounts. 1.4x and 2x TCs shift that balance point.

Start with a simple flat "camera" plate - I started with the Wimberley P-5. It'll be versatile on anything, although it may not offer enough length for balancing. Then go with an L-plate for your camera. If you get a lens with a tripod foot, get a plate made for a tripod foot (these usually have a lip at one end to help ensure it stays straight. Regardless, make sure your plates and clamps will offer you enough slide room while still providing a safety aspect: RRS L-plates offer cavities to catch a Markins pin (that's what I use now), but don't offer any screws that'll keep a camera safe in a Wimberley clamp. Therefore, my early thought of putting a Wimberley clamp on my next Markins head is out the window so my camera isn't splat on the floor.