Thread: Tripod Head Confusion

Tripod Head Confusion

Ok, I really tried doing my homework on this rather than just asking for free advice. But as often happens,I'm utterly confused.

I have a Bogen aluminum tripod (works fine for me) and 3025 head (see photo). I thought this would allow me to take (family) portraits with my 5d II and 24-70L/70-200 2.8 in either the horizontal or vertical orientation. Horizontally it works well, however, when I try to tilt the head to a camera body vertical position the head/body interface slips so the lens tilts downwards (24-70L). While not tried, I assume the tripod ring on the 70-200/2.8 will swivel and make this orientation possible.

So, deluding myself as resourceful, I put a piece of gripper cloth between the body and the head, tightened it down well and got the same results. Then, trying to throw money at it, I purchased a pair of Bogen quick release plates. I like these but still get the camera to plate swivel so that I can't shoot with the body vertically. I've tried to find a lens ring for the 24-70 similar to what came with the 70-200 but that's not available according to sales at B&H.

After a few beers, I contemplated welding the body to the head but that seems an odd idea to me nowthis morning

Hopefully there's a fix for the head I have, vs buying a new one. But if not, I tried researching tripod heads and after a couple of hours I don't have a clue of which type/brand/model to look into. Obviously The Digital Picture review info is good but I still don't fully understand the attributes of ball vs gimbal, etc. As far as video goes, I haven't even tried that yet. I suspectI will bitit sounds like a separate dedicated video head works best. I just want to shoot both horizontal and vertical still photoswith the two lenses I have.

Just to muddy things a bit, I keep lusting after one of those 400-500 primes. I suspect that because of their tripod ring I'd be ok? Weight wise, I assume the 3025 could handle them if used carefully.

Here's a stock photo of the head I currently have. It slips between the camera body and the cork base shown. Thanks to all who take the time to read this. gary

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.20/204587636.jpg[/img]

Re: Tripod Head Confusion

I have no idea what that head is supposed to do, what do the knobs do? I use a ball head and can angle pretty much any way I want without hassle. If you can, get a ball head, quick and easy.

The knobs allow tilting of the head/camera in a variety of positions. That works fine but the camera to head interface slips. gt

I'd say sink some money into a decent ballhead rather than another $2k+ lens. If your current problem is not being able to reliably change orientation for your shoot, then solve that one first!

I use the Arca Swiss Z1 mentioned on this site's reviews.I really enjoy the flexibility and control. I can have the 70-200 2.8 mounted and very easily loosen and manuever the body freely (and in a very controlled way). The same goes for any other weight combinations that I've tried. The mounting ring (as far as I know) is more about centering the weight of the lens/body combination rather than giving you the ability to make plane changes. I have the ring set tight and move the tripod head around - since that is what the tool is for.

Once you do get up into the longer lenses though, a Gimbal head would make you more agile.

(of course once you have that solved, there no need to ignore the want for the 500mm)

ze