Thread: Adorama's Used department

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    This will be my first experience with trading in used equipment to Adorama. I was wondering if anyone else has traded in used equipment or items to them and what that experience was like? I have always had good customer service from them and just am curious about what to expect. I have photographed every inch of the lens just as a precaution if they do any damage to it while examining it. Any other suggestions before it ships?

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts on the matter.

Jayson
    Adorama used department always aims to offer 70% of the expected re-sale value, but of course, a final figure can only be given once they have had the opportunity to physically appraise gear. They send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send gear into us for a thorough evaluation – fully insured – at no cost to you!
    They receive literally hundreds of items each and every day, (there are around 26-27,000 used pieces in the warehouse right now) so they generally ask customers to allow up to 8 days to look over items – especially as at least 2 (and sometimes 3) highly-skilled technicians will need to examine it.

Finally – and this is important – the selling prices on the website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much they might be able to pay you for your gear.
    When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but they will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock(which may have been warehoused and therefore costing revenue for days,weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price we originally paid.

In my experience, whileyou will be offered 70% of the current expected selling price (they need to covershipping,insurance, staffing, advertising, warehousing costs AND the bossexpects them to turn a profit), unless you are selling a genuine collectors'piece you shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see onthe website.

If you are not happy with the figure you are offered, you can ask for your gear to shipped back to you, fully insured, at no cost to you.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 06-30-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added missing spaces between words
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com