Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    &%!$. I just ordered the little guy. I've been bugged with the quality of our current point and shoot. This will be a good one for my significant other's tiny hands as well (at least that's how I'm rationalizing the purchase). I hope the camera comes with the new firmware already installed, but I doubt it will. Will be a fun little guy for New Mexico in a week!
    So... your SO is coming with you to New Mexico? Or are you buying it for her and then not letting her have it ?
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    So... your SO is coming with you to New Mexico? Or are you buying it for her and then not letting her have it ?
    This is going to be a sticky sell to her, as she is not coming with me to New Mexico. I'm not so sure how well this is going to go over on Monday: "I got you a new camera, and I'm immediately taking it with me to New Mexico tomorrow. See ya!" Doghouse here I come!!!
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

just tell her you have to break it in for her. Or extensively test it.
    Or, be her hero, and leave it to her :-)
    Arnt

you could not tell her you bought it and when you get back from new mexico say its a present you pucked up on your way back to show much time you've spent thinking about her

and ofc you had to open it to see if its working properly, you wouldnt want to give her a flawed present ^^

70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I picked one up too - Adorama price matched it (see news post). It's going to be the camera I take with me wherever a DSLR won't be convenient to carry.
    It might become that, but for me that's the S100. As small as the M is, the S100 fits in a jeans pocket or a very unobtrusive belt case, the M won't do either. However, I can see carrying it in my work computer satchel instead of the S100.

I think Ben has a great point. For me, the M doesn't replace the S100 - if I want to do that, it'll be with the Sony RX100.

While this price is excellent (as I said, too good for me to pass up!), I think the steep discount, combined with the facts that we're fast approaching the 1-yr anniversary of the EOS M announcement (late July, 2012) and that the M is a consumer camera and the Rebel/xxxD line has been getting annual updates, as well as the 70D's sensor (and you thought I was going off-topic) which is almost tailor-made for mirrorless, that we'll see an M II announcement pretty soon.

But that's ok by me. My intended use for the M is really as a backup body. I bought the kit with the 22mm pancake, but if they did a kit with the EF-M adapter, I'd have preferred that (even without a lens). If the 1D X goes belly-up on a trip, I can have a backup that's not going take up any significant room in the bag, but still allows me to use my bag full of lenses (albeit with a 1.6x AoV).

I want to see a picture of that little thing mounted on your 600mm.
    Bryan beat me to it by a few months - there's a picture of the M behind a 600 II in his review of the M...

70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    In fact, the current $299 price on the EOS M w/ 22mm pancake was just too good to pass up, so I ordered one a couple of hours ago...
    Good call ;-) Its a great little casual camera

70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Good call ;-) Its a great little casual camera
    As a little bonus, I just realized that I have a B+W CPL for the 22mm pancake lens, since it's 43mm filter size is the same as my Vixia HF M41 camcorder.

I had been looking to upgrade and move my T3i to backup position.

T5i cheap, slightly better than my T3i, uses same batt and grip.
    60D *yawn* the T5i feature appeal to me more.
    7D pricier, uses CF, same sensor, ripe for replacement.
    6D really awesome and I want it but two of my three lenses would have to be replaced and I'm not ready for that. Also wildlife photography is something I enjoy and a crop body makes my effectiveness a little better in this area.

The 70D seems like a good compromise. It would not blow the budget. All of my lenses should work with it. It has all of the advantages of the 7D that mean anything to me. It uses SD, has WiFi, presumably at least a little better high ISO performance, and a video mode that I might actually use. Considering 99% of my photo are just family photos I think I finally found my next body.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Sounds about right to me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

This is going to be a sticky sell to her, as she is not coming with me to New Mexico. I'm not so sure how well this is going to go over on Monday: "I got you a new camera, and I'm immediately taking it with me to New Mexico tomorrow. See ya!" Doghouse here I come!!!
    My Eos M just came in. I had to install the new firmware. Dinky little camera. The build quality is a lot better than I expected. It feels like a tough little dinky camera.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II