Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 70D Announced

70D Announced

I don't know that there are any must have features here for me compared to the 60D. It seems like the improvements are largely incremental. The wi-fi is a nice add. The AF is improved. It's a bit faster and probably a bit better in low light. The Dual Pixel is great for video and live view photography. I rarely do video and I stay away from live view photography precisely for the reason Dual Pixel is supposed to fix, so that would be something I'm interested in. But...

... I am so irritated by some of the other "improvements" that I'm turned off by this camera. Specifically, why do camera manufacturers feel they have to rearrange all of the buttons on the back of their cameras every time they come out with a new model? There are 11 buttons on the back of the 60D. Five of those buttons moved and one button was replaced by a switch. I'm happy with the replacement of the control wheel lock button by a switch (it is a horrible little button that I can never find in the dark) but the relocation of the five buttons serves no apparent purpose other than to confound photographers who are used to the back of the 60D. This is a big deal if you shoot with more than one camera in your bag. I would much rather buy another 60D than upgrade to a 70D. The aggravation of dealing with two different control interfaces is much greater than the incremental improvements the new body adds. I would only get the 70D if I were buying 2 of them.
    Last edited by Black_Dog; 07-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.

It's a real yawner to me.

Where's my 7DII?
    Last edited by shutterdown; 07-09-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Here’s my two cents…

I am quite excited about the 70D. I am a photo enthusiast with my main subject material being my five wonderful kids. In my camera bag you will always find my T1i and my VIXIA M40 (HD Camcorder). I am constantly asking myself, “Do I want photographs or video of this scene?” Therefore I am continually switching between my T1i and the M40. If this camera actually works as good as it looks, I could replace both with just one camera. Switching between video and stills will be a switch on the camera, not swapping equipment. That is a big sell for me.

Other specs that heighten my interest are:
    · 19 cross-type AF points
    · 7 fps (I can’t wait to see the fps on the 7DII with two processors)
    · WiFi
    · AFMA

It seems like a real nice upgrade to the xxD series to me. More important, the 70D looks to have taken most of the 7D's spot in the lineup. So, if a 7DII is to be announced, I am now expecting a higher end camera body. Which would be truly great.

So, I don't know what people were expecting from a 70D, but AFMA, weather sealing, Wi-Fi, better AF performance in live view and for video, a solid 20 MP, 7 fps, the 7D's 19 pt AF, and, potentially, 1 stop ISO improvement is very very solid, IMO. Only thing I didn't see them try to upgrade is the plastic body.

I'll wait for reviews before passing final judgment, but this seems like a great enthusiast camera.

Having an 60D and not sure yet where I want to go, I have been watching the 70D announcement. For me, the 19 pt AF, AFMA, more weather sealing, 7 fps are welcome improvements. I really want to see what the ISO performance is for stills. If 1 stop is there, it would be enticing.

For my use, I don't know if I would get the value out of the cost of going Full Frame and the extra cost to replicate the extra reach the crop sensor. That money could go towards a EF-S 10-22mm and EF 100-400mm and round out my current lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    It seems like a real nice upgrade to the xxD series to me. More important, the 70D looks to have taken most of the 7D's spot in the lineup. So, if a 7DII is to be announced, I am now expecting a higher end camera body. Which would be truly great.

So, I don't know what people were expecting from a 70D, but AFMA, weather sealing, Wi-Fi, better AF performance in live view and for video, a solid 20 MP, 7 fps, the 7D's 19 pt AF, and, potentially, 1 stop ISO improvement is very very solid, IMO. Only thing I didn't see them try to upgrade is the plastic body.

I'll wait for reviews before passing final judgment, but this seems like a great enthusiast camera.
    I agree. All to often people try to compare the lower end bodies to a 1D: "You mean to tell me that the new 70D doesn't shoot 20 fps, doesn't have a battery that is rated for 3000 shots, doesn't have useable ISO at 1,000,000, can't take a direct blast from a .44 magnum, etc..." To me, looks like a pretty good upgrade of the XXD series when just considering the AFMA and autofocus.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYr_qtLehpQ&hd=1

A quick Youtube video of the features from a bricks and mortar store here is Australia.
    This sounds pretty good to me.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

If I could focus like that in live view I'd be taking a lot more video. Looks like a good sign of things to come as far as I'm concerned, although I'm not in that market sector anymore.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I very much like the feature set on this body. I have to agree that the new sensor is the big deal in this camera - the other features are nice - the focusing is the big deal for me.

What I am most interested in seeing these move to an "M" oh what fun that will be - be very interested to see how much dynamic range is really there.

Having played quite a bit in the video side - the follow focus accessories are toast, this looks plenty fast enough,

I can't wait to see what the magic lantern guys can do with this, if the data rates to the SD cards will limit the raw video more than likely, so when the new censor gets to a CF card model,

Really a very good set a features - looking forward to the sensor tech getting "up" the product line.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

70D Announced

Dual Pixel CMOS AF in an EOS M MkII, and I've found my new backup camera. Bring it, Canon!