Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    My Eos M just came in. I had to install the new firmware. Dinky little camera. The build quality is a lot better than I expected. It feels like a tough little dinky camera.
    Mine, too...just a few minutes ago. Does it bother you as much as it does me to see that exposed sensor, unprotected by a mirror and so close to the surface? The EF Mount Adapter also has great build quality.

[QUOTE=neuroanatomist;83914]Mine, too...just a few minutes ago. Does it bother you as much as it does me to see that exposed sensor, unprotected by a mirror and so close to the surface? The EF Mount Adapter also has great build quality.[/QUOT

Yeah, that's a little scary. Honestly, I will probably never take the 22mm off. When I need bigger lenses, I will just use a bigger camera...so sensor should be safe.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    Yeah, that's a little scary. Honestly, I will probably never take the 22mm off. When I need bigger lenses, I will just use a bigger camera...so sensor should be safe.
    You? I thought it was your wife's
    Arnt

[QUOTE=dsiegel5151;83969]
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Mine, too...just a few minutes ago. Does it bother you as much as it does me to see that exposed sensor, unprotected by a mirror and so close to the surface? The EF Mount Adapter also has great build quality.[/QUOT

Oh yeah, I mean she thinks all of this...
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

My EOS M came in yesterday. I've been having fun with it. Build quality is impressive, certainly. Test shots so far look amazing for such a compact camera.

Back to the 70D. Do you think it is worth the money, or do I get more camera for my money with a 60D? I am eager to replace my 400D with a lower ISO noise camera within a few months (unfortunately, the 400D never seems to give up).

Lars

70D Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Back to the 70D. Do you think it is worth the money, or do I get more camera for my money with a 60D? I am eager to replace my 400D with a lower ISO noise camera within a few months (unfortunately, the 400D never seems to give up).
    The 70D has a much better AF system for moving subjects. That would make it worth it, for me.

I think we'll have to wait to see what the IQ and ISO noise are like...

Lars
    I have the 60D and like it, and there are some great deals out there right now. The thing that the 70D has that I would really like is the AFMA. The AF and frame rate improvements are nice too. That said, if low noise is your primary objective I'd be tempted by some of the current 6D package offers. If you don't need a new standard zoom you could sell the 24-105 and probably net out at close to the price of the 70D body.

I've been wondering if the dual pixel AF system would actually increase noise (reading two diodes, not one; diode size). So, if it was me, I'd wait for the reviews to come in. Regarding the "worth the money." I think the 70d is a pretty good step up from the 60d in certain features, such as the AF and AFMA noted above, or wifi, etc. But at $600 at Amazon, all I can say is that the 60d is currently seems like one heckuva deal.

Lars
    first, high iso preformance will be similar to 7D, dont expect big improvement there. people who got pre-production test model for previews were told so by canon guys (if i remember the quote correctly, they said to expect similar high iso performance to 7D). dont expect much difference there
    autofocus system is better in 60D so that could be a big difference depending of your shooting style
    AFMA is a big difference , something i always wish 60D had.
    if you're serious about video, you'll be manually focusing anyway and will most likely want a ff body for high iso performance. amateurs who like having both good dslr and video camera in one so they can shoot kids running around are going to be most interested in this. if you like taking pictures and videos of your children playing, depending how good video af is, you might consider this a big deal. so this is a big difference to some people

so its up to you to decide
    if you need a good dslr and dont intend on shooting video a lot, i dont think AFMA and better af system are worth 2x price tag, especially not considering you could get 60D & 15-85mm/10-22mm for just a little bit more money then 70D alone
    Last edited by ogrec; 07-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.