Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70D Announced

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    It seems like a real nice upgrade to the xxD series to me. More important, the 70D looks to have taken most of the 7D's spot in the lineup. So, if a 7DII is to be announced, I am now expecting a higher end camera body. Which would be truly great.

So, I don't know what people were expecting from a 70D, but AFMA, weather sealing, Wi-Fi, better AF performance in live view and for video, a solid 20 MP, 7 fps, the 7D's 19 pt AF, and, potentially, 1 stop ISO improvement is very very solid, IMO. Only thing I didn't see them try to upgrade is the plastic body.

I'll wait for reviews before passing final judgment, but this seems like a great enthusiast camera.

I think you said it perfectly. Since it looks like the 70D is at about the same level as the 7D, they really need to replace the 7D soon because we don't need two cameras filling the same niche.

i think M would be good enough as it is only if it had a viewfinder

regarding 70d, as an owner of 60d i think this is a very very good upgrade. video af, afma and 19 focus points are good enough reason to upgrade already, and if theres visible higher iso improvement, i'll be very tempted to replace 60d...

edit: i checked the price, i dont think its worth 1200 $, seems i wont be upgrading after all :P
    Last edited by ogrec; 07-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I may be completely off base, but I've been thinking of the new sensor, and the dual pixel sensor, may be a very telling breakthrough. If I understand the design correctly, it actually has 40 million photo diodes, but only 20 million "pixels" in the bayer array. Really, it very easily could be a 40 MP APS-C sensor, Canon would only need to change the Bayer filter. So Canon has the technology to have a 40 MP APS-C body, but choose AF over MP. This may mean that any "high" megapixel sensor in the future will not have the "dual pixel" AF. If the rumored 45-54 MP "high" mega pixel body is out there, they would need 90-108 million photodiodes to make the dual pixel AF work. At this time, that doesn't seem likely. Maybe I am wrong.

So, what I am thinking is that this is further evidence that Canon is ending the megapixel wars at ~20-25 MP for the current and perhaps next generation of bodies. Perhaps they'll provide a high end body without the new Dual Pixel AF, but all other bodies will have 20-25 MP and 40-50 million photodiodes, choosing better AF over megapixels.

For those of you that are more tech savvy, does this make any sense?

For those of you that are more tech savvy, does this make any sense?
    It does, OR it could be a sign that they're using the second green pixel (Bayer filter is actually RGGB in a square), so they didn't have to double the pixel count to achieve this.

...This may mean that any "high" megapixel sensor in the future will not have the "dual pixel" AF. If the rumored 45-54 MP "high" mega pixel body is out there, they would need 90-108 million photodiodes to make the dual pixel AF work. At this time, that doesn't seem likely.
    The 70D is crop sensor. A high mega pixel camera is likely to be FF which has a 2.56X greater surface area (1.6 squared) than the crop sensor. So... if your numbers are correct, then they should be able to do it with a lower pixel density (or room for bigger pixels) on a FF.

I am no sensor expert, but based on your speculation, it does sound possible to use the 70D technology for your High pixel camera if it is full frame.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    It does, OR it could be a sign that they're using the second green pixel (Bayer filter is actually RGGB in a square), so they didn't have to double the pixel count to achieve this.
    Nope, every 'pixel' in the Bayer array has a pair of subpixels under it.

Signals from both subpixels are combined for the readout from the pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Dual Pixel CMOS AF in an EOS M MkII, and I've found my new backup camera. Bring it, Canon!
    In fact, the current $299 price on the EOS M w/ 22mm pancake was just too good to pass up, so I ordered one a couple of hours ago...

In fact, the current $299 price on the EOS M w/ 22mm pancake was just too good to pass up, so I ordered one a couple of hours ago...
    I picked one up too - Adorama price matched it (see news post). It's going to be the camera I take with me wherever a DSLR won't be convenient to carry.

I want to see a picture of that little thing mounted on your 600mm.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I saw that deal too and nearly pulled the trigger since it'd be nice to have another small body as a backup. However I just can't get over the Sony RX100 enough to replace it with anything. It's seriously the best point and shoot I've ever used. Stunning IQ for a small cam, probably a result of the giant 1" sensor.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

&%!$. I just ordered the little guy. I've been bugged with the quality of our current point and shoot. This will be a good one for my significant other's tiny hands as well (at least that's how I'm rationalizing the purchase). I hope the camera comes with the new firmware already installed, but I doubt it will. Will be a fun little guy for New Mexico in a week!
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II