Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adorama it is then!

Adorama it is then!

From the news section:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=7267

A good reminder that this website is free to use but not free to run. We can support TDP by clicking through to websites such as Adorama before we purchase an item. From the news post, it seems Adorama is now the favored company.

Splendid

I thought I'd try to consolidate some of the tips for using Adorama:

Link to Jacob Waldner (jwaldner@adorama.com), who has been of assistance in getting pricing:
    http://community.the-digital-picture...hlight=adorama

I know Helen has been of help over the years:
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

The thread on the used department from Adorama:

A thread on discounts:

I thought there was a code we could enter on their website, but I haven't been able to find that thread. If anyone knows the code, please post.

Thanks,
    Brant

good summary Brant.
    I never heard about a code, but maybe there is one. Maybe it is redundant now that we have the route through Jacob.
    One thing I noticed is that on the Adorama ordering page, TDP is missing on the list of "How did you hear about us?" options. I guess that makes it even more important to go through the link on TDP.
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    good summary Brant.

One thing I noticed is that on the Adorama ordering page, TDP is missing on the list of "How did you hear about us?" options. I guess that makes it even more important to go through the link on TDP.
    Unless you use the link TDP won't get the affiliate fee, so yes, very important to click through directly from here.

BTW re: the 'how did you hear' PROBLEM is that with SO many photography forums etc listing them all would create a frustrating experience for customers, when the info is really only used by our marketing / research team.
    I have requested another category: "none of these" but don't know whether it went 'Live', yet.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

G'day Helen, are you looking for any new customers from Down Under?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    G'day Helen, are you looking for any new customers from Down Under?
    We have LOTS of happy customers in OZ and NZ! Now, we do offer the option of shipping via USPS for orders that are not to heavy or bulky, and which are under US $195 value. BUT I'm not sure how that would work alongside the TDP affiliate status

I'm sure there is a way around it, though, so if you are ever in that position drop me an email first so I can discuss with Jacob how we'd need to do that
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    We have LOTS of happy customers in OZ and NZ! Now, we do offer the option of shipping via USPS for orders that are not to heavy or bulky, and which are under US $195 value. BUT I'm not sure how that would work alongside the TDP affiliate status

I'm sure there is a way around it, though, so if you are ever in that position drop me an email first so I can discuss with Jacob how we'd need to do that
    Thanks Helen.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Adorama it is then!

I am pleased that Adorama is supporting TDP, which is an excellent resource for all of us!

However, personally I've had a pretty high frequency of minor issues with orders from them. For example, neither of my last two orders went smoothly.

A while back, I needed filter wrenches that worked with 82mm filters for an upcoming outing where I knew I'd want to stack a CPL on an ND. Adorama carries them, whereas other stores only carry up to 77mm. The item was listed as in stock, I ordered three sets (for multiple bags, and because it's not worth paying for shipping just one $5 item). My confirmation email showed them as backordered. So, I called to inquire, and was told they only had two of them (I would have thought that should show up when I added three to my cart, but oh well). So, I changed the order to two, and was told they'd ship that day. By the next morning, I hadn't received a shipping notification, so I called again. Turned out they'd been sent from the warehouse to the retail store in Manhattan, instead of to me. They were able to locate them on the shelves, pack and send them. Fortunately, I had placed the order on a Wed, so the one-day delay meant I got them on Fri, in time for the outing (UPS Ground is overnight from NJ/NY to me).

Today (well, technically yesterday now), I ordered a $65 item from them, which they had in stock but was a 7-14 day lead from B&H. A while after getting the order confirmation email, I got a second email stating, "Uh oh! The credit card used to pay for order #xxxxxx has been declined...It's probably just a misunderstanding, but your Visa credit card ending xxxx has been declined for $64.95. Often, this happens if the expiration date has passed or if you've reached the bank's credit limit." The latter suggestion made me chuckle - the available credit on that card is high enough that I could have charged the new SUV we bought earlier this year on it. The former also wasn't true - I had actually updated the expiration date during the checkout process. I called them, and it turned out that was the problem - the new card had a new date, but also a new CVV security code, and I was not given an opportunity to update that on the website. Apparently it's a known issue, and will be fixed at some point. The CSR updated the info, re-processed the purchase, and the item has already shipped.

Like I said, minor issues - nothing that prevented me from getting what I ordered by the time I needed it. But still, I had to call multiple times, wait on hold, etc. I've placed far more orders with B&H, online, by phone, and with their convenient iPhone app, and never had a goof on their part require extra time of mine to sort it out.

Adorama's CSRs have been consistently friendly and helpful in getting the issues resolved, and Helen's participation here and elsewhere is certainly appreciated. While I will definitely continue to purchase from Adorama, the frequency of these minor frustrations that require extra time to address is rather disappointing.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 07-12-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Similar to above, minor issues, but I've had issues with the search function on my iPhone/mobile website. Specifically, I've been tracking the 600 EX RT and the mobile site wouldn't find it when I searched "Canon 600 EX RT" or several variations of that. Of course, on the regular site, it pops up right away.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-12-2013 at 10:41 AM.