Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 aps-c lens

sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 aps-c lens

i know this is canon lens only subforum, but since sigmas are reviewed on the site i just have to put it somewhere

since i didnt notice this lens being mentioned anywhere else on the forum, i suggest you check slrgear or lenstip reviews of this lens. its has excelent build quality, its vey sharp, has low ca and low distortion and good af
    and it has 1.8 troughout whole range, at only 800 bucks

i've only just found out about it so i'm posting this now
    a lot of people think this lens is a game changer and that its going to have pretty strong impact on market, possibly reducing prices of currently available lenses (especialy used ones and primes in that focal range)

also, if iturns out that this lens is really that good, it will be interesting to see response from canon and nikon, cause (even with shorter focal range) this seems to me like the best possible upgrade for some who wanta to drop theor kit lens

sorry but i have to mention this again
    this lense is setting records in sharpness!
    i really looks like a perfect aps-c lens, and its not even priced like 17-50 2.8f canon or nikon, its so freaking affordable

btw if you wanna do movies on crop sensor dslr, this lens paired with 50mm is all you really need

before this lense i never even considered buying sigma (even thou 35mm 1.4 looks pretty good), bit if they keep making lenses like this, i guess i wont be looking only at canon glass anymore

This Lens sounds great and the DXOMark score is very good.
    My question is how useful would this lens be ?
    Here is my take on this and I might be completely off here so please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
    Consider the scenarios

A. Landscapes Usually F8 or higher is preferred for large DOF. so F1.8 wont be that useful.
    B. For group shots the DOF would be really thin. So a Smaller Aperture would be useful.
    C. For portraits it sounds great but there are other primes in that price range. the 18-35 range is not great so even with a prime you can walk forward or backward (most cases) to get the shot.
    D. Walk around lens : The range is too small to be carrying this lens only.

I love the idea of owning the lens and I think this might be a great lens for people to start with (ditch the kit lens and get this) but for people who already have a few lenses like 17-55, 70-200mm f/4 L,15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and 10-22 this might not be the ideal lens.

The lens would be great for anything you'd use a prime 28mm, 35mm, or 50mm full frame equivalent focal length for so... with the possible exception of 50mm portraits on FF where the crop could cause distorted faces.

I'm firmly in the game changer camp. I'm also suffering from some FF buyers remorse not necessarily from this but generally speaking.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 07-24-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Sounds optically great. I am also encouraged by lenstip's review of the AF. Albeit reportedly slow, but they found it to be accurate without front or back-focus issues. I'll still want to see Bryan's review, but Sigma seems to be on a role. I hope they keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DSLR_Newbie View Post
    This Lens sounds great and the DXOMark score is very good.
    My question is how useful would this lens be ?
    Here is my take on this and I might be completely off here so please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
    Consider the scenarios

A. Landscapes Usually F8 or higher is preferred for large DOF. so F1.8 wont be that useful.
    B. For group shots the DOF would be really thin. So a Smaller Aperture would be useful.
    C. For portraits it sounds great but there are other primes in that price range. the 18-35 range is not great so even with a prime you can walk forward or backward (most cases) to get the shot.
    D. Walk around lens : The range is too small to be carrying this lens only.

I love the idea of owning the lens and I think this might be a great lens for people to start with (ditch the kit lens and get this) but for people who already have a few lenses like 17-55, 70-200mm f/4 L,15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and 10-22 this might not be the ideal lens.
    I will be keeping an eye on this one. I would like to see Bryan's review first. I have a 10-20mm sigma and it is fairly soft, and the AF absolutley sucks... I always end up manually focusing. However, Sigma seems to be really turning things around with one good release after another. I use my 24-105mm a lot, and it is at 24mm most of the time. The 18mm would be helpful for me (although 14mm would be better).

I disagree with DSLR_Newbie regarding the f/1.8 max apeture... that is what I really want for night time land scapes. The stars and land elements will tend to be at infinity anyway. As long as I focus at the hyperfocal distance (31.5 feet), I will have a DOF from 15.7 feet to infinity... which is good enough for me. I have been wanting a fast, sharp lens for a while now, and the price for this one is right.

My biggest problem is the weather sealing. I tend to be out in bad weather, and evenings produce heavy dew (espsecially along the Lake Michigan). I am not sure how the lens will hold up for my use, but I do seem to get by with my 10-20mm... my biggest problem has been the canon 50mm f/1.8.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    ...I'm also suffering from some FF buyers remorse not necessarily from this but generally speaking.

Dave
    What don't you like about FF?
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I would be interested in hearing as well. I am currently using a 60D and will decide down the road between the 70D or going FF.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Pat,

I'm probably just complaining without having that good of a reason...

The 6D is a good camera and it isn't that I don't like it. Just speaking for myself here, but frankly it is a lot of cost and it doesn't stop at the body if you want to get the most out of it. I'm not willing to put the amount of money into lenses that would be needed to realize all of the performance gains.

Something as simple as going to a baseball game and you realize a 70-200 lens is way too short. The images can still turn out nice, but a decent amount of cropping is required.

I think your lens kit will transition well if you choose to go full frame. The 24-105L can now do wider things now, the 100mm macro is maybe even a bit better of a portrait lens and your 100-400 should still be long enough for wild life and sports use. Plus, you are a very high grade photographer. I'm quite confident you'd excel with a FF kit.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Sounds optically great. I am also encouraged by lenstip's review of the AF. Albeit reportedly slow, but they found it to be accurate without front or back-focus issues. I'll still want to see Bryan's review, but Sigma seems to be on a roll. I hope they keep it up.
    Keep an eye out for the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 "Sports" lens review being posted later on today. I think Sigma's continuing their streak of good lenses.