Thread: Canon 5D Mark III, YongNuo YN560-II and 2nd Curtain Sync

Canon 5D Mark III, YongNuo YN560-II and 2nd Curtain Sync

Hello all,

When I try to use second curtain sync on a 5D Mark III using my YongNuo YN560-II speedlite, by accessing the Flash Function submenu of the External Speedlite Control menu, I get the error "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." (it's on). According to the 5D3 manual, this is the only place where you can set this value, so I am fairly stumped as to how I go about this. I really wanted to use it for long sparkler exposures on the fourth. Still do!

Searching the internets, I get plenty of answers, from it's only available on TTL-capable flashes to Canon disabling access to this menu to any third party speedlites.

Can someone enlighten me as to how I access this feature? Something as simple as firing the flash at the end of the exposure should not be so difficult. Thanks in advance!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mclifford82 View Post
    Something as simple as firing the flash at the end of the exposure should not be so difficult. Thanks in advance!
    Well, you'd like to think so...but that's not the case - jrw is correct in that the YongNuo YN560-II is not E-TTL II-capable, it's a fully manual flash. Therefore, rear curtain sync is disabled, along with the ability to adjust the flash settings from the camera. The only thing the camera can do is tell the flash to fire via the main pin, everything else must be set on the flash itself.

Basically, it's a $64 flash for a reason...

That's fine, I knew there would be features missing for the price. I'm just glad I know why now. Thanks all!

So I should be safe grabbing the YN 565-EX as that is ETTL compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by mclifford82 View Post
    That's fine, I knew there would be features missing for the price. I'm just glad I know why now. Thanks all!

So I should be safe grabbing the YN 565-EX as that is ETTL compatible?
    If I were you, I'd be contacting a reputable vendor or the manufacturer to confirm that the flash either offers a way to select second-curtain mode, or that the flash is controllable via the in-camera menu system. E-TTL compatibility may simply mean that it can implement an E-TTL pre-flash when requested by the camera and then fire at a variable power level based on E-TTL commands. It may not mean that it can be controlled by the camera menus.