Thread: 16-35 L f2.8 mk2 and filters, suggestions wanted

16-35 L f2.8 mk2 and filters, suggestions wanted

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]I have just upgraded to a 5D Mark 2 and have taken back my Cokin P series filters due to the huge amount of vignetting on the final images on the 24-105 f4 L lens, I am about to rock out and purchase the 16-35 f2.8 mk2 and am wonder what do people use for filters on this piece of glass, other then just a UV filter to cover the front element (as i am assuming that a general Hoya filter won&rsquo;t vignette).<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]So I was thinking about purchasing a Lee filter starter set so that I am covered for all my lens especially when forcing an aperture for video, or a grad set for landscapes but these filters are pretty darn expensive so I want to make sure that I am not going to get any vignetting. Additionally I was thinking about purchasing one of the circ polarising filters (not sure which one out of the two) for the Lee filter sets but I am wondering if the huge field of view offered by the 16-35 will make the sky look patchy due to angle of view of the polarised filters, and if a UV filter plus Lee filters plus a Lee circ polariser will actually work together and not end up with half my image in darkness!<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]any suggestion and experiences are welcome.

Re: 16-35 L f2.8 mk2 and filters, suggestions wanted

I am from the school of no filter. I just won't pop a pic without the hood. If I was a filter guy I'd only go B+W.

I've used Cokin X filters on my 50D+10-22 EF-S and recently on 5DII+17-40Land there is no vignetting at widest angles in either lens.

i just created this lesson yesterday:

http://www.learnslr.com/equipment-i-use/filters

According to Bryan's review there will be significant vignetting if you get a B+W UV filter with "normal thickness", so he recommended buying a slim version

But the problem with slim ones is that they do not have front threads, meaning no filter stacking (I don't really mind this) and no original lens cap (I do mind this one). B+W will supply you with a push on cap which according to many reports tends to fall off all the time. This really bugs me a lot.

For protection purposes, one guy from 16-35 II flickr group said that he got a slim version of B+W Clear filter, which does have front thread so the original lens cap will work but I was not able to locate the item either from B&amp;H or B+W website. If such item exists I think I will get it.

Also if you have 16-35 you probably will do a lot of landscape shots, in which case a circular polarizer is necessary. Again normal thickness would cause vignetting, Byran recommend getting a slim one...

By the way, while you are looking at B+W filters, get the multi-coated version (MRC). I myself have not tested it but people say it is better. After all, you don't want to put cheap glass in front of the expensive ones, hence get the best you can.

Last but not least, in case you are really not sure if you should pay the premium for MRC, look online to see if there's any comparison done from those with MRC and those with non-MRC ones.

Cheers!