Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a tripod/ballhead combo on a budget of $600

I would consider Induro tripods with your budget (I didn't see the budget originally). I nearly bought the CT414 before getting the RRS. I have heard many good reports but haven't used them myself. As for the ballhead - don't skimp out. If you can stretch a RRS BH40 do it, otherwise I'm using the BH30 at the moment and it supports my 5D3 with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II really well. It's a surprisingly robust little ballhead.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    I'm using the BH30 at the moment and it supports my 5D3 with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II really well. It's a surprisingly robust little ballhead.
    +1. Although, I did find that the BH-30 settles a little (although it doesn't drift after that) with the 70-300L mounted via a body plate (I subsequently got the tripod ring for it). But with a more balanced load, it's fine (even with an extended 100-400L or 28-300L).

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    I would consider Induro tripods with your budget (I didn't see the budget originally). I nearly bought the CT414 before getting the RRS. I have heard many good reports but haven't used them myself. As for the ballhead - don't skimp out. If you can stretch a RRS BH40 do it, otherwise I'm using the BH30 at the moment and it supports my 5D3 with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II really well. It's a surprisingly robust little ballhead.
    Just so happens that Induro tripods just went 25% off at Adorama.

Thank you all so much for all this information. I've been talking with andnowimbroke and think I am going to be buying the setup that he offered me. You've all been so much help though.