Thread: Website changes

Website changes

Hey guys and gals,

I've spent the last couple of days updating my blog/website. I'd love some constructive criticism on the format etc but more so if anybody can see any issues with links etc I'd like to know so I can fix them. We're in the South of Turkey sitting by the Mediterranean at the moment and all we have is my macbook and the iPad so I don't know if it's working on android or other platforms properly. It seems to be working well on the iPad which is a good start.

Oh man, what a steep learning curve. First time I've really done any work with CSS or html - coding is hard work!

Hope you like it anyway, I prefer this to the old format. I think the black background makes the photos stand out more. I'm still miles behind but I'm getting caught up slowly. It's difficult with such a busy schedule.

Hopefully a couple of you can have a quick look for me and give some feedback, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance Ben.

Here's the URL: www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Website changes

Just checked it out on my iPhone. It appears to be a white background. I don't know if that was intended since I read black background. Also it appears to be a fixed format, not a floating or dynamic. In other words it doesn't adjust with the screen when turning the phone from portrait to landscape. When the site does switch orientation, the text gets bigger and doesn't adjust. Just nit picking because you still can read it and it looks good. I was just pointing out some things if you felt like digging into coding again.

I just was updating some typos from my iPhone post from my computer and see something else that might be of interest. On the iPhone version, there is no link to your blog or your gallery.

The desktop site looks good and you have some very nice looking shots from the trip from what I've seen. Can't wait to see them all in one spot! I think once the links are added to the mobile version, you have a very good looking site!

Here are two quick snaps of what it looks like on my iPhone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1921
    Last edited by Jayson; 07-19-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typos and adding some things after seeing the desktop version

So far, loving the update (viewed on my computer). Much better than the old format, IMO. I'll leave it to the others to test out on the smaller devices. :-)

Thanks a lot Jayson. The theme is supposed to be fully responsive for mobile devices. I'm using a custom CSS on top of the built in theme's CSS so I imagine there's some conflict between the two. There should be an option / link on the mobile version to allow you to view the full site rather an the mobile version.

Cheers Sean, I prefer the new version significantly. It was becoming a bit busy on the main page with all content on it.

I've added a gallery to the menu as well now which is a mosaic of my favourite shots. I'm having some issues though when I click on one of the photos in the gallery and it switches to a carousel slideshow the photos won't load or are blacked out somehow. If I right click and download the file it as it should be so I haven't figured it out yet. More googling required for that one I think.

Thanks again gents I really appreciate the feedback.

BT
    Last edited by btaylor; 07-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I really like it --- it's an excellent way of doing a travel blog. It's wonderful to read about your trip and see your terrific photos. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jonathan. It's a good way to keep in touch with friends and family without having to talk with / write to them all individually. Can be a bit of work though!