Thread: need some advice.

need some advice.

I've got a cheap sony point and shoot that's just not cutting it any more so i'm looking to upgrade my setup and since i'm not too knowledgeable about cameras I thought i'd ask y'all.

i'm a custom pistol grip maker so I would mostly use the camera for close up shots like the pic below but i'd also like to be able to use it for outdoor and wildlife shots, I have a budget of $400 or under, I've been looking pretty hard at the Canon PowerShot SX160 or the Canon PowerShot SX500 but like I said i'm just not sure what to get.

any help would be appreciated!
    Zane.

Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    http://youtu.be/LzQrU8viEVo
    CBOB0690

It will be interesting to see what others think, but I'd be tempted to start by purchasing the EOS-M, likely in a kit with the EF-M 18-55 lens (it is a bit less expensive than the 22 f/2 kit). This is currently under your budget (please note, you support this site by clicking the amazon or adorama link before making your purchase). But, eventually, I would think you would want to add the EF adaptor and a macro lens, such as the EFS 60 mm. That will eventually set you back another $600 (at current prices), but you'll be able to take some excellent pictures. You may also want to eventually think about lighting (the shot above may benefit from more side lighting) but you can accomplish that for now with lamps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what others think, but I'd be tempted to start by purchasing the EOS-M, likely in a kit with the EF-M 18-55 lens (it is a bit less expensive than the 22 f/2 kit). This is currently under your budget (please note, you support this site by clicking the amazon or adorama link before making your purchase). But, eventually, I would think you would want to add the EF adaptor and a macro lens, such as the EFS 60 mm. That will eventually set you back another $600 (at current prices), but you'll be able to take some excellent pictures. You may also want to eventually think about lighting (the shot above may benefit from more side lighting) but you can accomplish that for now with lamps, etc.
    many thanks Kayaker! i'll start looking at the EOS-M and see if I can try one out at a store, and thanks for the tip about the lighting!

Zane.
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    http://youtu.be/LzQrU8viEVo
    CBOB0690

Re: need some advice.

If you go the eos-m route, B&H has the camera, 22mm lens, and flash for $400. Talk to the Adorama rep from the site and they might match it. I found my adapter for close to $90 (Canon version). If you would rather use a viewfinder, I'd find a camera that fits your hands and your budget. The rebel series delivers good pics, but if it's not comfortable to use, you'll fight it everytime. The 50d-70d is a good compromise is size/quality/price. Even the new 6d (while currently outside your price range) is good. FM often has folks selling items that are still solid with decent pricing. I'd keep an eye on canonpricewatch for deals and pricing too. It's been awhile since the Canon Refurb store had a good sale. Pretty sure one is coming soon
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Maybe look at some of the cameras for sale that are used. You may be surprised at what you can find.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.