Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for short trip from Vegas

Suggestions for short trip from Vegas

I will be out in Vegas for a conference late October and looking for a short side trip for the weekend after. I should have Friday and Saturday open and maybe part of Sunday before I fly back to the East Coast. I went to Zion last year and really enjoyed it. I was hoping to go to Bryce this year, but I would rather have some more time for that trip.

Right now, I am thinking areas like Valley of Fire and/or Red Rock Canyon. Looking for some light hiking and photo opportunities.

I'll have my 60D and 17-55 f/2.8. Depending on where I go, I also have 70-200 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, and 100 f/2.8L IS. I probably won't take all, so if you have a suggestion to pair gear with a spot, let me know.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Eric

The Grand Canyon's less than 5 hours away from Vegas, isn't it? You might be able to stay an extra day at the conference and hit that one. :-)

Valley of Fire State Park is only about an hour from Vegas. Very, very cool place. But bring lunch. There is no place at all in or near the park to get something to eat.

Last edited by M_Six; 08-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The Grand Canyon's less than 5 hours away from Vegas, isn't it? You might be able to stay an extra day at the conference and hit that one. :-)
    Unfortunately I am not sure if I will be able to extend the trip much this year. I have been to the Grand Canyon before, so I will probably save that for a later trip with the kids. Bryce is about 5 hours from Vegas as well. If I could extend a day, I would lean towards Bryce since I haven't been there.

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Valley of Fire State Park is only about an hour from Vegas. Very, very cool place. But bring lunch. There is no place at all in or near the park to get something to eat.
    Good to know! Thanks.

I've only been to Vegas once, but I was pleasantly surprised by everything nearby: Hoover Dam ~45 min, Death Valley ~2 hrs, Red Rocks ~45 min, Valley of Fire (mentioned), Zion ~3 hrs, and Bryce (already mentioned). I day tripped Hoover, Death Valley, Red Rocks and Zion and came back to Vegas at night and caught a few shows (really liked "O" although my wife thought it was weird) or the Bellagio fountains. Enjoy the trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I've only been to Vegas once, but I was pleasantly surprised by everything nearby: Hoover Dam ~45 min, Death Valley ~2 hrs, Red Rocks ~45 min, Valley of Fire (mentioned), Zion ~3 hrs, and Bryce (already mentioned). I day tripped Hoover, Death Valley, Red Rocks and Zion and came back to Vegas at night and caught a few shows (really liked "O" although my wife thought it was weird) or the Bellagio fountains. Enjoy the trip...
    Thanks. I am leaning towards Valley of Fire and Red Rocks (unless I get better ideas). Next trip, I will try for Bryce. For what it's worth, I enjoyed "O". The stage is pretty amazing.

on Flickr valley of fire looks more interesting.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    on Flickr valley of fire looks more interesting.
    I've been to both. Valley of Fire is much larger and more scenic. Red Rocks is closer, but not as flush with photo ops.
    Mark - Flickr

Is Valley of Fire a 1 day or 2 day trip? I don't mind taking the time, hiking the trails and seeing everything.

Leave Vegas early enough and you can do it in one day. We didn't bring lunch and had to leave the park to find food, so we lost a lot of time. But almost all the park is accessible by car, so you don't need to hike very much. A full day there should be enough (unless there are trails and areas I didn't see).

If you have a GPS, the backroads from the rear entrance from the park and back to Vegas are scenic, although if you leave the park and the sun is going down, you're best off sticking to the highway.
    Mark - Flickr