View Poll Results: Which photo do you like for the "Isolation" theme winner?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture of Feather - Jayson

2 6.45%
  • Solitary Tree - Jonathan

27 87.10%
  • Self Portrait on the Rocks - DavidWare

2 6.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assignment #52 - Isolation - Congrats Jonathan

I'm surprised to see i was able to steal 2 votes away from Jonathan thus far. Absolutely stellar shot.

Just wanted to bump this thread. Today is the last day to cast your vote.

Voting is now closed.

Congratulations Jonathan!

I'll send you a PM about the next topic.

Jonathan - Great winter scene. This would not be an easy shot for us mere mortals of the photog world to get the exposure and shadows correct. I know snow has a tendency to throw metering off a lot... but you got it perfect (as usual). This one is so simple, but still one of the best winter scenes I have ever seen; and I do believe it is deceptively difficult to get right.

David - Great waterfall shot alone, but throwing a portrait in the middle of it brings it over the top. Great job.

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 09-17-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thanks Pat and thanks everyone for your votes --- that's a high honour coming from a group such as this. This was one of those fortuitous occasions where I happened to have a shot in my archives that exactly matched the assignment topic. I'm impressed with all of you who actually used the assignment to generate new material.

The spot on the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park where I got the shot is a huge pile of quartzite boulders, from an ancient landslide. Here is a shot taken in the same area in the summer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3477.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	2007

...with the only difference being that in this area the boulders are spread out quite a bit, compared to my winter shot. The winter shot is the only time I've ever used my 500 mm lens for a landscape photo. It was funny because I was standing on the side of the road, and several cars slowed down to see what on earth it was I was shooting with the big lens. I was fortunate that it was a bright sunny day, to provide the contrast I was looking for. The exposure was a simple matter of watching the histogram and dialing it up until the whites were as bright as they could be without blowing out. In the summer, an overcast sky is ideal for this location.

Thanks again and thanks to Brant for organizing this assignment. I'll come up with a new topic shortly.

Assignment #52 - Isolation - Congrats Jonathan

Congratulations Jonathan! That was a great photo. Amazing to see what the difference is between winter and not winter at that location. You certainly do live in a beautiful area.