View Poll Results: Which photo do you like for the "Isolation" theme winner?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture of Feather - Jayson

2 6.45%
  • Solitary Tree - Jonathan

27 87.10%
  • Self Portrait on the Rocks - DavidWare

2 6.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assignment #52 - Isolation - Congrats Jonathan

Assignment #52 - Isolation - Congrats Jonathan

On behalf of Assignment #51 winner Brian (Bgood) and Jan (Sheiky-who is moving into a new house) this is Assignment #52: Isolation

As described by Brian:

Isolation is the theme, but images are up to you. Does it mean creative use of bokeh to focus on your subject? Or, does it mean a lone tree in the meadow? Or, does it evoke emotion and if so, how do you portray that feeling in an image? Any of this is fair game.

The usual rules apply:
    • Multiple entries are welcome, but only one will be judged, the first entry will be judged if you do not specify your entry
    • Submissions will be welcome for approximately 4 weeks, until Sunday September 8th.

Thanks and good luck. I look forward to the entries.

UPDATE: Here are the finalists:

Jayson and his picture of the feather. Motivation: This is a great use of bokeh to isolate the subject and a great use of water and color to capture my eye and continually bring it back.

Jonathan's solitary tree in the snow. Motivation: This is visually very intriguing and is interesting to me from a shadow and pattern perspective even without the tree. With the tree, my eyes keep playing tricks on me, going back and forth between a tilt-shift lens and a normal lens perspective. Great capture.

DavidWare's self portrait. Motivation: This image was a creative view on the isolation subject. I feel for David as he left his gear on the other side of the stream, unable to rescue it from any danger. He, like Jonathan saw in my examples a love for the outdoors and captured how I feel when I am out in the mountains / woods, the kind of rejuvenating isolation that I need after a tough week.

Voting will end in one week.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 09-10-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added finalists and poll

Alone...

...on an island

I've been thinking of trying something new, and it will work perfectly with this assignment. Plenty of time to perfect it as well. Looking forward to see how everyone interprets this.

I Walk Alone

Surfboard Pothole by ernogy, on Flickr

The puffin cruise I did last Friday took us out to Eastern Egg Rock, which is a small flat island that usually has hundreds to thousands of birds flying around it. Not this time. All the birds were either very high up above the island or floating in the water just off the island....except for 5 eagles that had taken up different positions....I took this shot with this assignment in mind:

small-5956 by kayaker72, on Flickr

This is a feather recently lost in the yard. It had been wet by a morning mist. I stood it up and snapped a couple shots.

I'm cheating a bit here by pulling one out of my archives: A scene along the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park, from February. I'm pretty sure this is the only landscape shot I've done with my 500 mm lens. This area is a gigantic rock pile, from an ancient landslide. So in the winter you get very cool snow formations... great fun for those with an eye for abstract art.

Assignment #52 - Isolation

Jonathan, that is cool in more ways than one. Great shot! It almost looks like a shot made miniature in post.
    Last edited by Jayson; 08-21-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Johnathan, I was thinking of entering this competition, but after seeing your entry, it's a lost cause. Fantastic shot, definitely the winner so far!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWare View Post
    Johnathan, I was thinking of entering this competition, but after seeing your entry, it's a lost cause. Fantastic shot, definitely the winner so far!
    +2 Really nice Johnathan.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911